Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The BIG Move & Putting Pride to the Side


This week has been a wait, wait, wait week.

Hello week seven.

Last weekend the plumbing began.  It will not be finished up until the upcoming weekend.  

This weekend will also bring the new HVAC system to our house.  We're starting from scratch.  

Also, last weekend, the hubby worked on tearing out the last chimney that ran through the center of the house.  I got there for the last four hours and helped clean up.  Slinging the sledge hammer was extremely wonderful at relieving stress that has built up.  


Watch out!


Since we are having heating and air installed and since that means that the old registers from a few  eons ago will not work we are pulling up all the hardwoods through out the house. We're also getting rid of space that was created in the original build that no longer makes sense to have.  


This is allowing us to gain some space in a few rooms and that is exciting.  

See guys...you always have to look for the sunshine in the rain!  It is there just sometimes hard to see.

So in the week ahead:
HVAC
Plumbing

In the near future:
Electrical
Foundation finished
Flooring


~*~

This is a bit of a gear change but it is related to the above.

A month ago I received a telephone call from a guy I have known all my life.  

It was a hard call to take.

His church was extending their hand to help us.

We are a young family and in July I lost my job.  We have a mortgage against the house.  The insurance did not have to cover anything and they walked away from us with nothing on their hands and their shirts still crisp and white.

It hasn't been easy.

Through it all we kept our stupid pride.

When I took the call I told the gentleman I would have to call him back.  

I could not agree to a benefit or fundraiser.

I could not agree to help being freely offered.

That was not the way I was raised.

No matter what we go through we have to remember there is somebody worse off than we are!

I cannot tell you how many times that has ran through my brain!  I heard my mom say it, my grandma say it over and over all through my life.

My husband and I talked the subject over and over and over.  

Every time our pride said no way.

After prayer and thought we realized that sometimes you have to swallow that pride.

Sometimes pride can stand in the way of good works and good deeds.

Sometimes pride is a paralyzer and not a source of peace.

So, we put our pride to the side and accepted the help.

This weekend we'll be in a tough spot.  

We'll be at the meal benefit the church is doing for our family to help us get on our feet and get more work done on our home.

It won't be tough to be around folks who are supporting us but it will be hard to accept that we have hit a place in our lives where help is necessary in a way we never expected it to be.

Maybe my pride will come out and keep me from getting weepy eyed.  

But my thankful heart will be bigger than you can imagine.

Years from now we'll look back on this time and smile and we will pay these actions forward as we are commanded to do.


So many thanks to Bear Creek Baptist Church and William R Davie Elementary School...words cannot express the immeasurable gratitude we hold for you all.







2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gesture from the church! You are blessed to be surrounded by such good people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't have words to express the gratitude. And to make it even more special....this is NOT the church we are members of! This is another church in our community who we know many of the membership at. That makes this even more of an amazing gesture and what a blessing to make us sit down and regain our breath!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!