Thursday, July 30, 2015

This weekend in North Carolina

Before I get started - a little NC fun for you non locals.

I live about twenty minutes away from the town of Salisbury, North Carolina.  Salisbury is a pretty historical little town.  They had some old dead presidents come through there and practice law.  They had a pretty big role in the Civil War (a prison was there that was harsh).  Salisbury has also been in some movies (I believe Leatherheads was the last popular one).

However, there is one thing that has came out of Salisbury, North Carolina that you may have never heard of.

Cheerwine.

Growing up here means at some point in your young life you slurped down Cheerwine by the gallon.  I know I did.  I did so so much that now I don't really care for it.

First off you should know - it is not wine.  It is not alcoholic.  It is a soda that has a cherry flavor.


It used to be exclusive to North Carolina and parts of South Carolina and Virginia.  Nowdays it is expanding into new markets.  Check out the history of this small town soda by clicking here.  It is pretty nifty.

Alright....here's what's poppin' in North Kackalacky.

Image result for beer bourbon bbq cary

Cary - The Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ Festival... If you like beer (they'll have 60 ready to go), bourbon (how's 40 different ones to wet your whistle?), or BBQ (its cook off time in Cary) then you need to head to this festival which runs Friday and Saturday.  Along with all the alcohol and pig you'll have great music (bluegrass to blues) to jam out to and there's a beer belly contest.  Tickets are required and start at $99 for the entire event.  If you have a DD they get a reduced price ticket.

Raleigh - Jay Pharoah at Goodnight's Comedy Club...If you are an SNL fan then you won't want to miss seeing Jay Pharoah perform this weekend at Goodnight's.  He'll be the main act tonight, Friday, Saturday night.  The guy is hilarious.

Robbins - 60th Annual Robbins Farmer's Market...I think its safe to say that Robbins is practically the center of the state.  It is very rural and agriculture is still the main beef out there.  This weekend they'll celebrate that agriculture side of life by having a party - complete with fresh food to purchase, music, dancing, a 5k and a wagon train?  Yep!

Image result for weathervane winery

Lexington - Wine Down Friday at Weathervane Winery...I have yet to visit this winery but I have a good friend who really likes it.  This Friday (yes tomorrow) relax after a chaotic week (for me since I can't really relax until maybe Saturday evening) at the winery.  From 7-10PM relax to the sounds of Stewart Coley and sip away the worries of the week.

Nags Head - Experience the light house after dark... Are you up for getting a flash light, putting on some running shoes and going up the Cape Hatteras Light House after dark?  If so this weekend is your chance.

Murfreesboro - 30th Annual NC Watermelon Festival... This event starts today.  Come out and celebrate the fruit that is summer.  The Watermelon Festival offers more than just one of the best fruits known to man; it also has music, food festivals, and Miss. Watermelon contests.

Maggie Valley - Hillbilly Woodstock...Ummmm well...you can pack your tie dye or opt against it.  I hear there will be 20+ bands (types not specified), a car and bike show, a lot of food and proceeds help benefit the Haywood County Animal Shelter.  This is deemed a celebration of Appalachian and Western North Carolina history.

And that's all I have for you this week folks.














1 comment:

  1. I look forward to this post every week! That winery Friday night thing sounds really nice... except I might make myself crazy if I was surrounded by wine but couldn't drink it! I can't wait to go to something like that next spring and leave Baby Girl with her grandparents. You'll have to keep posting these updates, ok? :) And David LOVES cheerwine but I'm not much of a fan. I don't really like sodas. I know, I'm weird. Just never have. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!