Wednesday, July 22, 2015

This weekend in North Carolina....

Hey, Andy!  What is there to do in NC this weekend?

RIP Andy Griffith! He was such a wonderful dad figure to so many of us. Hope he's having homemade pie with Aunt Bee in that Mayberry in the sky.

  Well let's just see, shall we?

Any time I'm around my dad the conversation spins over to The Andy Griffith Show.  Growing up that show was on our television at 5pm every day.  No, I'm not that old, it was re-runs!  If I remember correctly the show aired on our local CBS affiliate until just a couple years back when they decided that we should have the news run for seven hours straight.

Andy Griffith was a North Carolina icon and his show really put North Carolina on the map.  However, geographically it didn't do a good job for this state I live in.  Mayberry is a fictitious town.  It is supposed to be patterned after Griffith's hometown, Mt. Airy (which I happen to be about 45 minutes from).

They also spoke a lot about Mount Pilot.  Once again there is no Mount Pilot but there is a Pilot Mountain.  Pilot Mountain is between Winston-Salem and Mt. Airy and is basically a shorter stature mountain with a knob on it.  Pilot Mountain is great for biking, hiking and camping but not a hub for business or industry or movie going and Italian cuisine as Andy would have had you believe.

Siler City is another famed Andy Griffith Show place.  We do have a Siler City in North Carolina.  I can't tell you much about Siler City because I only drove through there on my way to Raleigh via US 64.  However, I can tell you I don't know think its up there with Charlotte and Raleigh as far as business goes.  It is very pretty and quaint.

Direction-wise...the show was challenged.  The places he said you went up to you actually went down or over to.

I just felt the need to share this with you.  You know if the show inspired you to one day make a pilgrimage to this state that I am from and Andy is from.  Andy Griffith died in his home on Roanoke Island, North Carolina (beautiful place, been there once, to the island not his house) and within five hours of his death he was buried on his property.  He was a quiet and often sad man who really didn't fit the Sheriff Taylor mold he created but he was and is (and probably always will be) a North Carolina icon.

Now on to the goings and doings of this coming weekend in North Carolina!


Hickory - {The Furniture Mart Furniture Festival & Sale!}  Now this is right up my alley.  North Carolina was a major manufacturer of furniture until things started shifting across the Pacific.  Our furniture is still celebrated around the world and Hickory is really a true Capitol of NC Furniture.  The festival includes the art of making furniture by classical artisans and how the furniture industry shaped North Carolina.  You can also score some magnificent deals on great brands while there.  Go out and get me something, would you?

Wilkesboro - A farmer's market slash crafters meet slash fun for the family....The Wilkesboro Open Air Market.  Each Friday is something different from live music to a outdoor free movie for the family.  Check it out!

FridayNightLive July24-2015

Mocksville -  Friday Night Live at Raylen Vineyards  visit one of the Piedmont's premier vineyards on Friday for a fun night of delicious wine (for purchase).  It is a great way to unwind from the week, bring a picnic or purchase food on site from the highly popular Food Freaks Food Truck, take in the beautiful scenery of Raylen while listening to the music of Jessica Mashburn.

Mooresville - Saturday don't miss the Charlotte Antique & Classic Boat Show at the Trump Golf Course.  Boats from yesteryear will be on display.  What a fun reason to find your way to the lake.



Pinehurst The US Kids Teen Golf Championship will be held at North Carolina's most renowned golf locale Pinehurst this weekend.  If golfing is your thing or your have a young aspiring golfer I highly suggest you check it out.  If you aren't into golf then Pinehurst is still worth a weekend of your time.  Lush resorts with a fabulous spas and dining, sign me up!

I did not get any information on things going on along the NC Coastline. This is their busy season so I am sure there is plenty going down in the sand!  Oh and I haven't heard of any shark attacks this week so maybe Jaws and friends are moving back out?  We can hope!

Have a fabulous weekend in NC or where ever you may be.








2 comments:

  1. Where do you get all this great info about stuff going on in NC? And I'm with ya on Andy Griffith. I can quote practically every episode - my dad loved it too and we grew up watching it. I still catch it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Aunt Bee, CALL THE MAN!" Love me some Andy Griffith.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!