Monday, July 27, 2015

Tasty Tuesday....Pool Food



It is no secret we spend a lot of time at the pool.  That place is a sanity saver for me.  I have two kids plus a husband who has to get his Zzzz's during the day (he's nocturnal, currently).  We don't normally spend hours at the pool but we do get two to three in three to four days a week.

Image result for hungry from swimming
I think its a proven fact - being active in the water turns you into a pig!

I'm not sure about you but when I'm in the heat I don't want a regular meal for lunch.  Instead, I pack snacks and we have them  when our energy levels drop.  Don't forget: swimming is the best exercise!

Today I'm sharing what we love to snack on at the pool.

JIF - Creamy Peanut Butter, 1.5 oz., PK36

My family isn't allergic to anything but whatever is floating in the air in the spring and fall.  We eat peanut butter - especially this mama!  I really like Jif To Go.  Most days we take lots of celery sticks and baby carrots to dip in the peanut butter.  The kids also like graham crackers so with the Jif singles that works out really well too.

PopCorners Sea Salt Popcorn Chips 5oz

Have you tried the new style of popcorn?  PopCorners are really good!  Yes, they are popcorn but instead they are in a chip form.  It is basically a tortilla chip but its texture is smoother and lighter.  My kids must have pop corn to survive (or so they act that way) so I purchased this to change it up for them and also for me.  I'm very glad I did.  You can also get these in a variety of seasonings.  I picked ours up at Harris Teeter.

By the way this is a NON-GMO food, gluten free, and all natural.

Light String Cheese
Normally I would steer clear of any dairy when I'm out on a 90+ degree day but cheese sticks have yet to make our tummies sour during swimming.  Note:  We eat one a piece and not five.  LOL That could play a role huh?  I always buy the Frigo Cheese Heads Light String Cheese.



It is summer how could we not be eating fruit by the pool?  My kids aren't too partial to watermelon, I know I should have their heads checked,  My son loves peaches; both kids adore blueberries.

 Normally, I buy a personal size watermelon and scoop all the fruit out and eat it for my mid day snack/meal.  I love them that much!  I remember when I was growing up my Dad-o (maternal grandpa) loved watermelon so much we would all (6-8 of us) go over to his house on Sundays in the summer to cut one and eat it in the back yard.  He loved salt on his.  I prefer mine without salt.

How do you eat your peaches?  Did you know the skin is actually very nutritious?  When I was in college I worked in a farmer's market.  I learned a lot about peaches and was mortified the first time I saw a person just bite into one without peeling it.  In my mind I thought - but it has hair (fuzz)!  A couple weeks later I was eating them the exact same way.  Just wash it off and bite in!

Blueberries are a super food and you should learn to love them even if you don't think you do.  That's all I'm going to say about that!

fruitables_apple_harvest

My kids are hooked on these juice boxes.  I pretty much prefer they drink water but when they need an extra kick of taste I buy these Fruitables.  They really love the Apple Harvest flavor.  You can't go too wrong with these juice boxes because they are veggie and fruit mixed concoctions



This is what I take to the pool.  I purchased the 64oz Cool Gear EZ Freeze drink bottle to make sure I can get my water in every day.  So, yes, I take it more place than the pool.

And that's it....

What we take to the pool.  If you're looking for chips and cookies and mayo laden sandwiches....well no I don't have any of that.  However, I'm going to be posting Beach Food soon and you may like that list more ;)

What do you eat when you are at the pool?












2 comments:

  1. Yum! Such great go-to summer snacks. I've been so obsessed with peaches this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how the "older generation" likes salt on their watermelon? My grandma is the only person I have ever known who did that. :)
    If your son loves peaches, I posted an easy peach muffin recipe today he might like!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!