Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Thankful: November 5

Today I write that I am thankful for this little place I live.

Yes, this is my hometown.  The prettiest time of year is Christmas.

I never thought I would ever say that.  To be honest, I'm not a fan of tiny places such as this.  When you go to store and see at least two people you know it can be a little annoying.  I loved the ability, in college, to be able to go to the store to grab whatever I needed and not see a soul I knew.

I still enjoy that but those days are long gone.

What I failed to see growing up here (and hating it, I really did) was that this is a good place to grow up.  For the most part it is a safe choice.  Though, just like places large and small there are bad people around the corner.

It helps to raise children in a place where you do know at least 40% of the people shopping in Walmart while you're there.

It helps to have your kids brought up in a place where the same lady that kept your little brother 18 years ago is still able to watch your own little guy today.

It helps that if you need an answer you can just call up the person with the answer because its a friend of your dad's.

I may not agree with the masses here in tiny map dot North by God Carolina but I am glad I'm back here to raise my family.






4 comments:

  1. We moved to a really really small town (from Charlotte, no less) a couple years ago and I hated it. HATED IT. And then this year, I just learned to accept it. And now I love it. And I know when we move next (because we will...football), I'll miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a love hate relationship with small towns. Something ridiculous will go down and I'll be like ugh time to move and then I'll realize its a good place to be because that one stupid thing was so minor.

      Delete
  2. So funny to read this, because I had the exact same experience growing up. I lived in a tiny town in NY with a graduating class of under 30 kids. I could not wait to get the heck out of there! I'm not back in my hometown, but I'm not too far away and my husband and I have made it a point to raise our children in a small town, like the one I grew up in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 freakin' people?!?!?! Ok well I graduated with like 425 BUT we only have one high school here and its a nice sized county. I hope your week is going great Kimberly!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!