Monday, February 15, 2016

4 Cleaners You Need




Last week I brought you my tips to keeping your house nice and tidy.  If you missed it then click here to check out that short and sweet post.  I wrote it keeping in mind how busy so many of us are with work, kids, practices, meetings, etc.

This week I want to share another brief post about cleaning products.  As consumers we have to be very leery of all the products out there to clean our homes with.  Some items cost a lot of money and are not worth the that cost while others are minimally priced and often looked over.

Here are some of my picks for cleaning your home!

The Gold Standard of Green and Simple Cleaning



Is vinegar.

White vinegar or you can purchase the cleaning grade for the same price as the cooking grade vinegar.  This liquid that serves a billion or so uses is a fabulous total cleaner for your home.  For your floors - wood floors and tile floors - 1/2 cup of vinegar for a half gallon of warm water.  Your floors will be shiny and fresh and disinfected thanks to the properties of the vinegar.

Use it to sanitize your counter tops (same dilution) and you can even use it to clean your windows (though I will share my favorite products for that shortly.)

Also, I use straight vinegar to scrub toilet bowls, drains, and mix it with some baking soda to scrub soap scum.

I feel like I should write an entire post on cleaning with vinegar - so maybe I will do that for another Monday!

Say no to ammonia!

SPRAYWAY - Glass Cleaner, 19 oz., White

When it comes to cleaning glass and mirrors stay away from Windex.  Look, I love it too but not for glass.  Ammonia streaks glass very easily and it is also the active ingredient in most glass cleaners.  Instead opt for Spray Way Glass Cleaner.  It is ammonia free and cleans glass and mirrors the best of anything I have ever used.

Nothing beats a little bleach.



There are some areas that need bleach (Clorox).  Toilets and mildewed areas really need a good bleach treatment to remove the bacteria/fungus and be sanitized.  I know there are many people who are anti bleach but guys sometimes it is just necessary to get the job done.  If the smell bothers you just remember that a little bit will go a long way!  You don't need to drown the gallon.  Also it should be diluted with plenty of water.  To cover the smell use a Mr. Clean with a nice scent to wipe down the area after cleaning with the bleach.


Wooden surfaces need love too.



My go to for wood (cabinets, furniture, etc) is Orange Glo.  I have used a lot of products but this one just makes me smile because it really leaves a gorgeous shine on furniture.  This isn't your typical dusting polish as this helps keep the wood oiled and gorgeous to the eye.  The active ingredient of orange oil also leaves a great aroma throughout the home.

There ya go, friends!  This week's cleaning post is all finished up.  Tomorrow I hope you'll come back for some kitchen and cooking time with my Tasty Tuesday post!

xo






1 comment:

  1. Great ideas as many people are unsure what to clean with and what works best. I LOVE vinegar and have huge bottles of it! I have three spray bottles with the water/vinegar mix and people don't realize how cheap and perfect of a cleaner it is!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!