Thursday, June 30, 2016

Top Summer Essentials for my NC Summers!

We are well into ninety degree heat here in North Carolina and it spurned this topic today on the blog!  When you live in the South you have to deal with heat and humidity every single day in June, July, and August.  I am a weirdo who doesn't complain about it because I honestly love it all.

Today I felt like I should share what I keep on me at all times during the North Carolina Summers I'm so accustomed to.

We'll look to my pool bag for the first of this grouping!  As you know I am at the pool nearly every day of the summer so it should be packed with only the best of the best for a random girl like me.

*Sunscreen*



Oh my goodness has this stuff got a bad rap this year or what?  I know there is a mad dash to get all natural sunscreen but I'm moving at a turtle's pace to do it.  Call me old fashioned but I still use the cream and for the kids I still buy level fifty.

Since I'm fair skinned I coat myself in thirty and my face gets a heaping dose of the kids' fifty.  My favorite will always be Hawaiian Tropic - the smell!!!

*Lemon Water*



I always have a Tervis of lemon water with me.  You have to stay hydrated when you're the pool referee!

*Magazines*



I think we hoard magazines for the summer!  My mom gets Southern Living, BHG, and one other so after she finishes hers I take them out to the pool.  I get Real Simple and can read it over and over again.  My husband takes his GQ, Field and Stream, and Outdoor Life to browse in the shade.

*A good book*



Easy summer reads are a must for the pool or beach and I think you will concur on that one.  I cannot wait to get my hands on Mary Kay Andrews' newest release!  By the way when I say a good book I mean a real tangible book not an e-reader or phone or tablet.  Keep the electronic stuff inside and get a real book!

*Hair ties*



Long hair don't care!  I throw my hair back when I get too hot and then dive in the pool!  I think we should buy stock in Goody considering how many hair ties I go through in a summer.  I also love to sport a bandana as a headband at the pool.  Walmart has adorable bandanas in various patterns for a buck.

In the kitchen...

 *Fresh fruit and veggies*

Image result for fresh fruit and vegetables

Some days all lunch calls for is watermelon, peaches, or a tomato and green leaf lettuce wrap!  I like to take full advantage of all the local gardeners and farmer's bounty this time of year.  It is cheap and healthy eating at it's richest.

*Rum*



You knew this.  I keep three rums around:  dark, clear, and banana.  Mix it with a splash of cranberry juice and you're good to go.  Plus, the first sip takes you to tropical destination even if you are an hour from the Appalachains and three from the beach!

*Cranberry Juice*



A lot of time in the water can lead to some unwanted medical issues, ladies.  Bathing suits are not breathable, water can be irritating, drink your cranberry juice to keep UTI's a bay!  This never happened to me until well...this year.  UGH!

In my closet:

*Pretty Polish*



I love having my nails painted and summer is the best time for fun and bright polish!  I love to stock up on cheap bottles (a la ninety-nine cents) and keep my shades ever changing.  The heat activated color changing polishes can be fun this time of year too!

 *Comfy Clothes*



You will find me in an over sized tank and my 9 year old, decaying, denim shorts that are literally coming apart.  I cannot fathom throwing them out!  They are too comfy and probably too big but too good to let go of!  I don't do summer trends I just live in my staples of comfort!  Let's face it...I'm normally sporting a bathing suit so ya know!

On my phone:

*Amazon Prime Music*


Nothing screams summer to me than good ole shagging music.  OK maybe I need to define that word for you because it isn't Austin Powers's idea of shagging but rather the Carolina dance style that is defined by beach music and easy steps and twirls.  I grew up on oldies and you cannot get a safer music for your kids to listen to and to make you smile.

Yeah I aspire to be her.

What are your summer essentials?!?!

xo -
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!