Monday, June 13, 2016

Tales from the Pasture: Hats, Horses, & Hen Houses



Good morning or whatever time of day this post finds you in!  I hope you guys all had a great weekend and had the chance to do a couple things you enjoy.  The ninety degree temperatures were back in full action around NC this weekend so I was a happy little lark.

Speaking of this weekend it is time to introduce you to a new lady in our pasture and also give one of those updates on my daughter that I try to seamlessly tie into my own experiences on being a parent who is not seasoned in raising a girl.

The last day of school was fun - awards, a party, and a new horse.

Meet I.D.


This is the fourth horse my dad has purchased for C in four months.  Yes, I believe we are kissing frogs when it comes to getting the perfect fit for my girl.  Molly wasn't fully broke, Prissy Buns is still a sweet baby doll who is thrilled to be with her old pasture mate I.D. again, Levi is a story I need to share with you in a moment, and now we have I.D.

So what makes this horse a good fit?

Simply put - she is old.  She is twenty years old and in very good shape but she's not into "horsing around" and is very reminsicent of the horse C trained on.

I could sit here and tell you the immense surge of happiness I felt when I helped my daughter get in the saddle on Thursday night and then watched her take control with no one beside her and ride the horse.  But I'll digress.  I think you may know that swell of pride if you're a mama.

C riding with her Pappaw on Sunday.


The horse is a sweetheart and we're thrilled to have she and Prissy Buns together.  They came from the same farm just east of Raleigh.

Rodeo, Barrel Racing, Woman, Cowgirl, Sport

On Friday night my daughter attended her first rodeo.  I guess it is safe to say that English riding may not be her choice after this experience.  Growing up we went to rodeos quite a bit and even after the little kid years I spent many Friday nights at team roping events.  No, I never participated but you know...high school girls and high school boys in rural little map dots do strange things for fun.

My dad and his girlfriend took C to her first rodeo and well...I think my Facebook status from Friday night sums it up:


C left in a pony tail, tank top, and her boots. She came home in a cowboy hat, tshirt, and mess of dirt in her boots and ready to ride bucking ponies. I believe we are going to have to keep a keen eye on her when she rides now! What did Garth Brooks say? Damned old rodeo??? lol


When she arrived home just before midnight she was pumped!  Barrel racing didn't quite tickler fancy but roping, bucking, and bulls sure did.  All I could do was giggle.


The hat is being worn everywhere.  I had to tell her not in church, honey.


Our Littlest Buckaroo is not riding horses or mutton busting but he did learn to swim this weekend!  The boy has no fear so he did a lot like his sister did many years ago and went under and started swimming!  That is something that excites me so much - when C started swimming on her own I was elated and excited.  Now my little dude is starting to swim and I could just pop with happiness.


***
I hate to report our chickens fell prey to one of our lovely woodland creatures last week.  It was a clean sweep of the coop by a smart critter.  We've narrowed down the suspects to a raccoon, oppossum, or a fox but it doesn't look like fox work - well not to me!  

I'm sticking to raccoon because I know how meticulous they can be about the way they do things.  Possums are messy in their work and this wasn't a messy job.  Fox - well I just feel like we would have had more extensive damage to the coop but then again they do have that stealth cat like side to them so...

What do you say Mr. Fox?


***

This week on the blog the background idea is Father's Day!  I hope you'll tune in for a Father's Day meal idea, Pinterest 5, Driving Around My Town, and Friday 5.

Have a terrific Monday!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!