Saturday, September 21, 2013

What's For Dinner?


After a really bad case of lactose intolerance/allergy rearing its head I am steering clear of all things from the milk cow.  (Not the beef cow though!)  Many of my picks for this week do not mirror that choice but I am going to play with the recipes to cut the dairy at least in half.

----

Well my mom has sent a sloppy joe recipe my way.  She claims it is similar to an old scratch recipe my late Mammaw made.  I believe my Mammaw used a canned version called Manwich but hey whatever!

Here's what she shared - some people would rather make their own sauce anyway.

1 tsp of salt
1 onion chopped
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of water
cayenne pepper as you choose

Brown your ground meat of choice (we use turkey in Brownie Land) season with salt & pepper, cayenne.  Drain off the fat or water after its cooked.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

--

Last week I shared the following recipes that we would be having for the week:

Yes it was delicious and we will have it again.  My one year old killed it!  My six year old was down with the white chili.  My husband said he liked it. That's a freakin' kitchen score!  Next time I may add in some more seasonings.

Sloppy Joe's
Yep, finger licking good.  I love these because they are so fast to make.  Of course I just used Aldi's brand and it was great but you could so make your own sauce if you want to.

Baked Ravioli

Very yummy!  The whole family enjoyed it.  Next time I'll have to tone down the cheese considering mine consisted of ALL cheese and left me in a world of hurt. (As did the 2 PSL's I had and breakfasts that consisted of milk and cereal...)

Steak Fajitas

I haven't made these yet.  They are going to be tomorrow's dinner!

*******

Ideas for this week's dinners:

My Own Traditional Chili

Basically its my throw it together recipe that honestly is no recipe.  I just chili beans, black beans, some ground beef or turkey, corn, diced tomatoes, chili powder, a packet of ranch dressing mix, black pepper...and top it with cheese (if you wish).

--

Harvest Butternut Bowtie Pasta

Harvest Butternut Bowtie Pasta with Bacon #fall #dinner @babycenter
Here's the Pin!

I like this because nothing screams fall to me like butternut squash.  Guess I'm weird like that though - owning it!  We won't be having this until I have my GI issues under control but it looked so good I had to share!



Chopped Taco Salad

Click here for this jewel from The Nest


I have to have something tex mex ya'll!

--

Vegetable Cheddar Chowder
Perfect Fall Dinner: Vegetable Cheddar Chowder & Pumpkin Chocolate Chip bread
Pin it here!


There is also a holy mother of our Lord recipe for some yummy dessert bread on this same pin!

Yumm-o!

--

If you have a recipe you want to share with me and my readers feel free to pass it along!  I love new recipes!

Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!