Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What I've Been Longing For


My heart has been hurting a little lately.  I'm so filled with love for my babies but I'm longing for a four legged baby.  We've been dog less for nearly three months now.  I must say that it is a little tough!

I have such a big place in my heart for dogs.  This is probably because I have always had a dog.  Beagles, Labs, a crazy Jack Russell, multiple Coon Hounds and many many more.  There is no greater animal on this earth than the dog if you ask me.  They are loyal and awesome companions they share in your happiness and work so hard to make your sad days be happy ones.


True! http://www.dooup-usa.myshopify.com/

This past weekend while my little girl was battling a mean virus that left her weak and full of fever the idea of adding a four legged friend back in our family weighed heavy on my mind.

When I was ten years old I was as sick as I'd ever been in my life.  I missed nearly two weeks of school and was at the doctor I know three times within one week.  I felt so bad.  So incredibly bad. I remember lying on our couch in our log house in a pain I had never experienced before.  My whole body hurt.  I would shiver, puke, and just cry as I tried to watch the prime time TV shows my dad loved.  

One night I was in tears.  I felt so horrible and wondered in my mind if I was dying and no one was telling me.  I just wanted to feel better and get outside.  That was back in the time when kids played outside from the time they got home from school until their moms threatened to beat their tails if they didn't get in the house.  I started to cry quietly, tears falling down my face.  My mom stood over me and my dad sat down beside me and said, "What would make you stop crying?"  I guess feeling better wasn't the correct response.  They didn't have the magic concoction to make that happen.  Being a ten year old kid all I could think of was one thing:  

All I wanted was my dog.

Growing up we did not have pets inside the house.  The dogs lived outside while we habitated inside.  At this time in my childhood I had a Border Collie and her name was Maggie.

truth. Petting a dog is said to lower your heart rate and comfort you! love thisss!

My dad walked outside and brought her in.  Instead of being excited about being in the house she stood watch over she walked right to me, stood beside me and I cried while I rubbed her coat.  I was crying because I was in shock my dad did that for me.  It felt so good to pat my dog.  It felt even nicer to know she came right to me.  I think that she knew I was sick and she knew her job was to stand by me and be my buddy.

Dogs and kids - a magical bond.

When my little girl was lying on the couch in tears, the baby was screaming to be put down and then to be picked up, and the hubby was no where in site (or earshot) I immediately thought of Maggie.  I looked at my daughter and thought "We need a dog" - at least he or she could offer the love and companionship until I could get the baby settled and then my full attention could go to my feverish little girl.

There are times during the day when it is quiet and I do love those moments. However, when I sit down to take a breather I miss not having a dog put their head in my lap just for an ear scratch.  I miss not having a television buddy when everyone else is asleep for the night.  There are times when I miss having an excuse to slip outside and get a quick fresh air break by giving the dog a walk.

As much as I want a four legged member of the family I know it will have to wait.  Soon there will be too much going on around here for it to be a good time to bring a canine into the mix.  I will just have to patiently wait for a better time, not necessarily the best time, for a new member to join us.  That will be an exciting day.


Word!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!