Monday, September 2, 2013

Can I get an extended NEXT weekend?

How about a weekend? When its the last unofficial weekend of summer I envision things like pool time, fruity drinks, a cook out, hot summer sun...you get the picture.  Unfortunately, this weekend didn't hold much of that.

*Friday*

Friday we celebrated a great week of Kindergarten.  I took the Diva swimming after school.  She really enjoyed swimming around.  It was nice to get in the water on a true summer day.  In case you didn't know the summer of 2013 in NC has been anything but typical.  We had a lot of rain, many below average temp days (some even in the 70s), and lots of overcast.  Friday we had humid, muggy, typical temperatures, a blistering sun, and blue skies.

Friday dinner was take out.  I decided the Diva should have the chance to pick our plates.  Her choice....Japanese.  Strangely enough I didn't like the taste.  To me I tasted remnants of chlorine bleach in the shrimp.  I ate the veggies and rice and stole some steak from the hubby's plate.

We were all worn out and in bed by 9:30!

*Saturday*

Saturday I was for sure the Diva would sleep in.  Think about it - this week has been huge for her.  She's on a new schedule of waking up thirty minutes earlier, she spends her days being stimulated by new friends, teachers, and learning.  Well she did not sleep in.  She was up just after 7am.  I fixed her some waffles, we chatted, all was great.  Then Little Man woke up and my husband brought him downstairs bare bottomed.  "There's poo all in the crib."  Words you really never want to hear.  The hubby cleaned the soiled sheets out.  I fed the monster.  We all went up and cleaned the nursery with disinfectant.  He's not sick just teething.  When my babies teeth they get rancid diarrhea.  The thought of it as I type makes my tummy turn!  I decided to cover my bases with his tummy being in a mess and headed to the local Dollar General for Pedialyte and more cleaning agents.

When I returned the Diva was on the couch saying she was cold and sleepy.  I took her temperature.  Want to guess the number?  101.3 ---- first week of school, first long weekend, first virus of the year.  She spent the day camped out with blankets, Tylenol, Gatorade, and Cartoon Network.

The whole house was scrubbed even though there's no way of tricking a virus.  I just prayed no one else got it!

The hubby left just after noon for his Fantasy Football draft.  Let me just be blunt:  I don't get it.  I know I may offend some of you when I type this paragraph but seriously I do not understand pretend coaching.  That's what I see it as - a bunch of wannabe Stump the Schwabs getting together to form a FF Team like they are the missing link to a terrific NFL.  If you ask me they take a past time way too serious.  I get it - it is a form of gambling and fraternal b.s. but good Lord enjoy football games without being glued to your fake team!  I try to find something to compare FF to and I cannot.  I guess its a religion....er cult.

I know some of you are thinking:  he left you with two kids, one with bad poop and cutting teeth and the other with a fever and viral infection?  Yes, he did. 

Hmm, what else went down Saturday?  Oh yeah I nearly burned the kitchen down.  I will be honest, I nearly didn't write about this because of embarrassment but I doubt I am alone!  I was going to cook some nuggets for the troops and so I cut on the oven to preheat.  I was cleaning away when the alarm sounded it was time.  I opened the stove and there were flames.  I freaked the hell out.  There is no light way to put it.  I grabbed the baby and started screaming at my husband to come inside.  Ever have a moment where you know what to do but instead you freak the hell out?  Yep that was me.  I knew baking soda was the key to this fire however I needed my husband to apply it.  Luckily, I keep baking soda close by. After my heart started racing and the baby was looking at me like "whoa mom's crazy" I told my hubby to put baking soda on the flames.  He did and the fire was gone but the smoke was everywhere!  Nothing a few open windows, ceiling fan, and box fan couldn't remedy.

What caused the fire?  A Pyrex lid.



I immediately began thinking about an old friend of mine who many years ago decided to bake up some fish sticks.  Some grease had dripped on the element and it caught fire.  We had a good laugh over it and when she married I wrote a recipe card for baking fish sticks.  Well, Amy, it came back to bite me.

Saturday night the Diva's fever returned.  We hung out on the couch watching Animal Planet and Nat Geo.  Those are her favorite channels next to cartoons.


*Sunday*

I was so hopeful the fever would break during the night.  I got hardly any sleep on the couch.  I chose to sleep there in case she needed me in the night.  At 6:30 AM I was awoken to, "Hey mom"...a muffled voice.  I had just fell asleep so I was like what, huh, where?  I felt her forehead - on fire again.  I took her temperature...101.  Grrrrreat.

Xnay on church
Xnay on pool time
Xnay on a fun weekend for my Kindergartner
Sadness

Tylenol didn't touch this fever all day Saturday so I was off to get some Advil.  I went ahead and stocked some more Gatorade (the only thing that was helping her) and to cover my bases more fever reducer for Little Man should he fall victim (praying the whole time he did not).

I know how much it sucks to be sick yet still have an appetite so I hit up Dunkin Donuts for a sweet treat for my girl.  She was happy to get a sprinkle donut.  Yes, I am aware sugar feeds the virus but for the love of God people she's five.

At 10:00 AM the fever broke.  However, after spotting the white patches on her tonsils I decided we must go to the doctor.  My mom also called to say that my grandma (aka Demented Thursday grandma) was sick and was also headed to the doctor later today.  Of course hers has more to do with not eating correctly and her GI tract going all demented.  So its a hot date - the four of us at the doctor at 1 PM.  

We head to get professionally checked out.  Long story short, it is strep throat.  We go to get the Rx which has been sent through a computer line next door to the pharmacy.  Why do I always go there?  I know good and well that I hate that pharmacy and I prefer Walgreens so why do I find myself walking in that hell hole next to the doctor's office?  Lets just say a simple pour the amoxicillian into a bottle, check off, check off, sign off took the forty seven people that work in there thirty minutes to do.

The Diva was feeling good so I took her to Subway for lunch.  She was smiling - yay!

Around 5:30 the fever returned.  She cried.  She couldn't understand why she wasn't "better" - now that's a tough one to explain to a little kid.

My brother, my mother, my adopted brother


Got him a Fat Head...his favorite team.

Little Man just hanging out


My brother is turning 18 in a couple days.  To celebrate my mom grilled steaks, baked potatoes, made a salad, and picked up K&W chocolate pies.

Hard to believe that turd that arrived when I was a tender teenager is now 18.  Good gracious.

*Monday*

So Labor Day is here and there are no plans.  My little lady will spend the day resting so she can return to school tomorrow.  My little man will play and eat.  I will do housework.  We'll send the summer out the way we brought it in except this time with some antibiotics.

I'm really praying I can get away from the house for a while.  It has been a rough.  Oh well...not holding my breath.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!