Monday, March 2, 2015

Prayer Challenge (Stream of consciousness, didn't edit!)



I hate that I threw the word challenge on there.  I am not challenging you to pray.  I am challenging you to be more intentional about whatever faith you do or have yet to find inside yourself.

For March (the week days, maybe a surprise weekend here or there) I am offering up a topic to pray on each day.  Since some of my posts are labeled faith based I tend to get some emails from readers that say...."I'm not into religion" (me either) or "I'd like to try a church but haven't been since I was 12" (been there)  or "I don't really know how to pray properly"  (several emails on that one).

There is no right or wrong way to pray.  I think you need to know that.  I also think I need to let you know I'm not a preacher or teacher or theologian or remotely related to Lysa Terkeurst.  I don't listen to K-Love 24/7.  I don't like to make people uncomfortable (or do it) and put them on the spot about whether or not they are going to heaven when Armageddon hits.  That's not me.

I'm a girl who has as many faults as the tectonic plates (do you get that?  Its a dorky funny!).  I make bad decisions, I say means words, I sin like everybody else.  The only difference is that I am becoming more intentional about the way I live my life and more alert to what I am doing wrong.  I'm also asking for forgiveness a lot more and striving to take the gifts God blessed me with to make a positive impact on someone else.

Ya'll know I'm a Methodist...a United one not the kooky guys who failed to become united (just kidding geez lay off of me I have to make you laugh).  Methodism is a part of the protestant Christian Church and we rock....ok we really rock, let me just lay that out there.  Right now we are in the season of Lent which means we all go buy a lot of those 3M rollers and keep ourselves really sharp til Easter.

Just kidding.

We are celebrating the time that led up to the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.  The window of time where He gave His many sermons and did a multitude of miracles.  The time when He was trying to show the Pharisees and the cast aways who He was.

Many people feel the need to give up a food, drink, or something during Lent.  (It has a diet property I guess?) While others add something into their lives (more devotion, a Bible study, community service, etc).

Today I start what I wanted to do for Lent (two weeks later).  I wanted to take into account every email I received off a "spiritual" post and turn it into a Prayer Challenge for March.  Some of you are like, that's nice but I don't need it.  That's cool but the way I see it I need to be reminded to be in prayer on the constant.  More time in prayer is less time in judgement of others and self.

Join me?

Today we just say a simple and quick prayer....

For those of you who aren't sure, try this:

"Dear God,

Today I want to thank you for _________, ___________, ___________.  I am thankful for these things because they make me __________, ___________, ___________.  Please allow me to have a safe and healthy and happy day.  Amen."

It is easy.  Pray eyes open or eyes closed.  On your knees or by the coffee pot.  Out loud or in silence.  It doesn't matter.

You got this.





1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea! I am going to pray this over my weekly gratitude list!

    Beckey
    http://reallyreallyrealhousewives.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/QueenBsBusyWork

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!