Thursday, January 23, 2014

Two Grocery Trips? Shoot me (no, don't)...

When I started on my insanity of saving money I would drive to three different grocery stores.  In one day.  To get each one's special deals.

That was stupid.

I mean really, ya'll.

I wasn't making recipes to go by for the week.  I was writing down what was on special that I would purchase.  Then I would stare at the bags from three different stores and be like, so yeah what am I going to do with this stuff?

That was so stupid.

I mean really, fo sho, ya'll.

I quickly learned (ok not too quickly) that that style of shopping may seem smart but after you account the time spent in the car, parking lot, pushing a buggy, etc then you realize it really bites.

I want a life that doesn't consist of going to three different stores, holding coupons, and then organizing my pantry.  Is that too much to ask?


----

So here we are at the weekend before the Super Bowl.  That is an interesting situation.  It turns out my husband and my dad are going to cook for the Super Bowl (as in outdoorsy, manly, argh argh argh way).  That means they need loads of meat.  

We like to get meat at Sam's Club.

To beat the rush my husband wants to go this weekend.

Ok, fine.

It also turns out that tomorrow I get to go get felt up by my newly found out pot smoking OB/GYN.  (Turns out she's not doing my exam but the other chick is....damn that was going to be a super fun feel up time.)  

There happens to be an Aldi a mere ten minutes from her office.

Holy shebang.

I get to go to my favorite grocery store (lately I've been going to the local non Aldi due to shear convenience) and get felt up all in one day (in the name of cancer prevention).  

A trip to Sam's Club and a trip to Aldi means that I must do four things:

1.  Keep my regular grocery list for the week
2.  Take inventory of what I need that I use nearly every day
3.  Re-evaluate my regular grocery list and decide which of those items need to be purchased in bulk for better savings
4.  Create a stock up list for Sam's.

----

My grocery list for the week looks like this:


Yep, there's what we're eating and what I need to purchase.  Except I have placed beside each item on the list side where to buy it at.

How do I figure where to buy something?  Simple, second grade math ya'll.

Canned goods are cheaper at Aldi.  No joke they are from 39 cents to 89 cents.  That generally beats out the regular grocery store and it totally beats Sam's on their canned food prices.  (A little secret canned foods are generally the same price as Walmart or Food Lion at Sam's, take the price and divide it by the number of cans in the box and you'll see it is not a deal.)

Fresh fruit and vegetables are an Aldi must.  They have the best produce.  I don't know anyone who will fight me on that one.  It is also so economical.  This week they are selling blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, blackberries for unheard of prices (lets just say from under a buck to less than two bucks...yeah great!)

Dairy items are generally cheaper at Aldi.  Milk is normally $1 - $1.25 less than the regular grocery store.  I will say that Sam's can be really competitive on the milk prices with Aldi.  When it comes to cheese you have to back up and check around.  I have found shredded cheese at Aldi is the same price as Food Lion.  However, block cheese is much cheaper!  (50% cheaper)  Since I grate my own cheese well you know...I buy it block style at Aldi.  Eggs are generally the same price as the regular store.

Side note:  my four hens are not laying, I hate them.

Butter for me is a Sam's purchase.  We use a lot of it.  It is so expensive so lets blame Paula Deen for that issue.


Meats are fresh at Sam's and it is our preferred place to buy meat.  We buy them in bulk and break them into smaller containers so we are covered for a month.  I still have several frozen pieces to fix next week.

After I have sorted out my groceries I run an inventory of what we have and what we don't have or are running low on that is best purchased at a club store.

This list is only for things we need in bulk and are a great price in bulk.

For us this is the list for this trip:

Waffles Must be more than 20 in a pack for no more than $9.00\

Meat I do not go crazy with a car that PETA would pass out over, and who cares if they do, I buy three packs of meats.  Sometimes its beef, pork, chicken and sometimes its beef, beef, chicken.  Sometimes its pork, chicken, pork.  Sometimes its bocky, moo, oink, and silence because fish don't make too many sounds.  I love some fish by the way.  Ummm hmmm  fishy fishy!

Frozen veggies  This can be cheaper at a regular grocery store with coupons, do math.


Butter   Damn Paula Deen

Eggs (cheaper at the Sam's ya'll unless you have friends who have like fifty billion chickens in their backyard and they begin laying and they have eggs coming out the wazoo and they say to you to come get a truck load)

Peanut Butter  Much cheaper at Sam's.  I live for peanut butter on hot toast.

Cereal bars (kid loves them)  Do the second grade math but they should be cheaper, we like housebrand!

Canned fruit This is up in the air, last time it wasn't a good deal but we bought anyway because we can claim temporary stupidity.


Dairy Free Creamer  Cheaper at Sam's if you buy their brand which is good.

Bread Sam's does 2 for a certain price.  If price is less than $3.60 then I'm cool with it.

Trash Bags (only buy at Sam's)

Dish washing Tablets  To be honest, I just like the comfort of a HUGE BOX OF DISH TABLETS.

Multivitamins (kid)  Smart to buy these at Sam's good price and will last 12 months.

Multivitamin (adult)  See above.

Baby wipes  When they have wipes in stock this is the place to buy them.  I bought a 8 month supply last year for less than $16, that is bangin'.

I know my prices so I know what is a deal and what isn't.  My husband really hates how I do the math on every damn thing he picks up.  I know you do honey, I see it in your eyes.  Just keep your mouth shut and we'll have a nice trip.  OK?  OK!

And to go ahead and put this out there....even though my list looks like that for Sam's, I will not end up purchasing all that stuff in that trip.  I really do scrutinize the pricing and unit size.  I'm seriously out to save money not drown it in Sam's Club.  (However, I could so drown it in Sam's Club....so easily.)




Yeah I kinda have a crush on Sam's.  Damn.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!