Monday, August 18, 2014

Birthday Boy Week: I'm making a cake?!

If you follow the blog you know I LOVE COOKING!

I do not, however, love baking.  

There are certain times a year that I don't mind baking (generally October-December) but I'm not really into it January-September.

Why do I not like baking?

Basically because you have to make it really pretty (cakes) and there isn't much lee way in doing so.  If I bake a cake I get one shot to ice it right and if I ice it wrong I'm screwed.

Whereas, when I cook a meal I can make it beautiful by the layout I put it on the plate.

Laziness level "I ain't baking no damn cake"

Get me?

So this year to save money I decided to bake the birthday cake for my son.

Just an FYI, since my kids are two weeks apart they share one general party, so yes you'll see my daughter's influence on the celebration as well.

Can I just say I'm scared senseless at making this cake?

I've looked to Pinterest for ideas:

When I typed in easy farm birthday cake I got this

Party Animals  Create a barnyard bash with this quick and easy creation. Cover the cake in green buttercream frosting and pipe the fence on the sides.
If this tickles your fancy click here
Hello....I'm not a baker.  I don't know the FIRST THING about fondant!

So, I scroll down in hopes the easy is around the bottom...

Construction farm tractor cake. Chocolate icing crunched up Oreos and graham crackers. Starburst and dot cones.  Delicious and cute and easy!
You can pin this here

Oh my.  No that looks like something I could totally do because it looks like a mess!

So, as I'm about to give up I find this:

Farm/Tractor Birthday Party Ideas | Photo 3 of 14 | Catch My Party
Pin it and check out Catch My Party!



How fabulous is that?  No fondant, no crazy elements that scare me.  A tractor, some chocolate, and candles.  I think this must be perfecto!

Then I had to take a trip to get a few things at Walmart and I just so happened walked by the bakery and maybe I just so happened to look in their cake book.  Possibly I asked the price of a particular cake.  It could be that I went back to the baking section and started pricing out how much it would be for me to make the same cake.  It could have went through my mind that the cake would be a horrid mess if I tried to make it.  Perhaps, I walked back to the bakery and struck up a conversation with the baker and she may have taken my name and number and said I could pick up my cake the morning of the party...


Share something you've baked and you were impressed with....or better yet NOT impressed with!


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Is that duct tape holding the candle on the cake box? LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!