Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Survival Skills: A Nine Year Old's Birthday

This past weekend my first born turned nine years old.  WOW!  Who would have ever thought that many years could pass so quickly?  Not me!  This year we decided to go all out and have a sleepover birthday party.  Yes, I have worked with kids my entire adult life but having them in my house for well over twelve hours and surviving?  That is huge.  Here's the run down of surviving a house of young ladies.

1.  Good weather





I am the kid who had her birthday in November.  I cannot really tell you what is like to have a summer birthday party as a child because my parties were always indoors.  Needless to say having a summer birthday opens the doors (to your home) for a lot of outside time!  I knew these kids would be full of energy and excited to be with each other.  Also, I know kids are super loud!  So we all headed out to the backyard.

Did you know girls love sports?  Well you should.  This group of young ladies were particularly athletic and competitive and ready to run!  That meant we played soccer and, get ready for it, football!

A favorite moment?  One of the girls said she didn't know how to play football.  So when we lined up to play she gave a huge bear growl and went straight for my husband (who was home early thanks to Hurricane Hermine wrecking his fishing trip.)  It was hilarious!

2.  Feed them well.

Oops, I didn't take a picture!

One of the biggest compliments of this party from the kids was that we did a taco bar instead of having pizza.  I had a helper bee who loves to cook and a table full of little girls who just happen to love some tacos.  Prior to the party I hit up Sam's Club and purchased a case of Fruit Barrel Juices, that yummy cheese dip that you get at Mexican restaurants, and a huge pack of popcorn.  I had a lot of happy and full tummied girls!

3.  Treat them like princesses!


The girls really enjoyed yogurt facials and having their nails painted!  Trust - a female at any age loves some pampering!

4.  Go back outside!



There is something about going outside at night that kids just really like.  My husband stoked up our fire pit and we all went outside to be by the fire.  This was on a total whim!  Had I known we were going to do this we would have had smores...of course!

5.  Let them enjoy each other

I think by far the best part was the traditional fun of a slumber party!  All the girls enjoyed staying up til midnight and gabbing and playing their hearts out.  I let them have their space and read a book in my room until lights out.  It was a win win!

6.  Celebrate friendship



The ages of 9-12 are such an important time in the whole growing up process.  I had a blast just watching these girls love each other in conversation, play, and helping one another out.  Over the coming years they'll all go through changes and some may drift apart but this time of giggling and being happy and not worrying about a thing is such a celebration.

7.  This girl.



My baby girl.  I'm so happy she LOVED her birthday celebration this year.  I'm so in love with her and hope the next nine years are oh so good.

Now let's plan a party for October!

xoxoxo-
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!