Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Tuesday: Pumpkins & TV Picks for Tonight!

Image result for pumpkin

With everything pumpkin coming back in I think you should know - pumpkin puree is excellent for your health.

Pumpkin is one of the lowest calorie fruits grown.  It has 26 calories per 100 grams of pureed pumpkin.  It also has zero fat and zero cholesterol.  These two facts alone is why many dietitians recommend pumpkin for those seeking to lose weight or better control high cholesterol levels.

(I'm going to share with you a fabulous way to use pumpkin in a heart healthy, waistline healthy way in a matter of lines.)



Pumpkin is high in Vitamins A, C, and E - these guys are also called the antioxidant group.  They assist in eliminating bad guys (called free radicals) in your body.  You need these!  They help with your cells and that means you look pretty and feel good.

Pumpkin can help you with reducing eye dysfunction and disease.  The Vitamin A levels in pumpkin help aid in the protection against UVB rays across the retina.  This means you save yourself from macular disease as you age.



I need you to realize the value of rich levels of Vitamin A for a second.  Vitamin A (not my street name but should be) is incredibly important to you for these reasons:


  • Maintains skin integirty
  • Maintains mucousa
  • Key to good vision (even if you are blind without assistance as I am)
  • Vitamin A helps assist in the prevention of lung and oral cancers
The orange fruit of fall also has a nice range of the Complex B vitamins.  This is something women need as we age - B vitamins out the wazoooo.  These complex life sustainers give us energy and keep our bodies pumping.

Minerals are also a major part of the pumpkin.  In a serving you will get a nice dose of copper, calcium, potassium, and phospherous.  Your bones and heart will thank you for that.


I'm telling you this because you need more pumpkin in your diet....and not just the coffee variety!  It is also available year round at your grocery store.  However, we're in the fall (almost) and people are latching on the pumpkin like its the cure all during the plague.  I felt it a great time to promote the pretty little fat orange guys in an its-really-good-for-you-way.

And now one of my favorite Hungry Girl recipes of all time....


1 can of Libby's Pumpkin Puree (regular 15oz can)
1 devil's food cake box mix

In a large bowl empty the canned pumpkin and the cake mix.
Using a hand mixer mix it up - it will be thick
In a greased muffin tin (I generally make 6-8 large muffins), spoon the cups half to 3/4 full.
Bake in a preheated oven set at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Devour.

No eggs, no oil, no water.

Simple, yes.

***

Back to premiere week on telley....

Image result for muppets tv show

I love some Muppets and guess what?  They're on tonight, 8PM, ABC.  So far I have gathered this is a "reality" show that focuses in on the lives of certain famous muppets.  It is a comedy but I'm not so sure this is totally family friendly.  As a mom of an 8 year old - a little nuts here but I am not too cool with The Muppets being a total adult thing.  We'll see how it pans out tonight.


Image result for scream queens

Scream Queens is a new show on Fox at 8pm.  If you have an Ibotta account then you have had to watch the trailer for this show over and over.  Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michelle (Glee), and Nick Jonas are all in this show.  It is basically a thriller television show from Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story) and is set on a college campus where there is a serial killer doing his thang. This actually sounds like a pretty good show....we'll watch and see or rather DVR it because my 8 year old may get freaked out.



Finally over on the CSI network CBS at 10pm you can catch Bradley Cooper in the television version of his movie, Limitless.












10 comments:

  1. Ah I hate pumpkin. It is so gross to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real pumpkin not a bunch of spices in orange paste i.e. everything they are marketing as pumpkin now....

      Delete
  2. I may or may no be a little crazy because I'm just not a huge fan of pumpkin flavored food. I know, I'm not a real blogger ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate pumpkin coffee. I like pumpkin pie. I love to use it in recipes to cut fat (can't taste it so you're safe) and be heart healthy!

      Delete
  3. i never knew so much about pumpkin!
    i'm excited for Scream Queens. I hope it's as good as it looks.
    Trish - tales from trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am here to educate on the orange things of life.

      Delete
  4. I never need reasons to eat pumpkin, especially roasted. Sending this one to a good friend of mine in Cali who will love it for sure though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing it!!!! Pumpkin is good (and not just in a coffee gahhhhh American freaks!)

      Delete
  5. Who knew all these facts about pumpkin!! No me!! Thanks!! More pumpkin bread and pumpkin ale for me!!! And do you think if I only ate pumpkin puree out of the can for a month I'd lose weight?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super food! So um puree alone would make you gag and so yes you would lose weight. However, YOU ARE TINY so no go for you missy!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!