Sunday, September 20, 2015

Let's Eat!



For the week of September 20th....


Let’s Eat!

Hey guys back for another Let’s Eat Edition today.  I’m focusing on maxing out what is already in the cabinet, pantry, and freezer.  Sometimes you don’t feel like going to the grocery store.  Other times you really don’t have the money to go to the grocery store.  Realistically, you probably do not need to go to the market because this is America and we waste more food than we eat.

I have a challenge for you this week – utilize what you have on hand to make meals.  Take inventory of every inch of your kitchen and then plug in ingredients into websites like allrecipes.com and find out what different dishes you can make.

This will save you a lot of money and also allow you to see how much you actually have on hand.
Here are some things I’m making this week with what I have on hand:

Breakfast



Pumpkin Spice Muffins are the idea for the week...
These muffins are simple and satisfying and not terribly horrendous on your middle or heart.
1 can of pumpkin puree and a spice cake mix – mix together and bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

News: Pepperidge Farm Brings Back Caramel Apple and Pumpkin Spice Swirl Bread | Brand Eating

Also Pepperidge Farms seasonal swirl breads are out and I really like the Caramel Pie and the Pumpkin Spice.  Just go easy on them because they are high in calories.

Lunch/Dinner

Easy recipe for Meatball Calzones.


Easy Meatball Calzones
I found this on the website:  {Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom}
Meatballs, pizza crust, pizza sauce, cheese, yes easy!
This is something that the majority of my household will really enjoy eating. I can also pack these in the lunchbox!  I love a double score.  (If you are in my area:  Harris Teeter has meatballs as part of this week's meal deal!)


Add in avocado for some healthy fats and an even better taste!


My go to lunch is a spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, boiled egg, olives and celery.  Why is she sharing this?  Because I hear of people who have fresh spinach for a recipe but never really use it for anything else.  Do this!  It is healthy and so filling thanks to the protein from the egg.  Spinach is incredibly healthy with all the vitamins and nutrients that leafy greens offer.  Your doctor will be super proud of you.  Stay away from creamy dressings and opt for vinaigrette's.

So many awesome ideas for freezing lunches that go beyond the sandwich! 7 Lunches You Can Make and Freeze

Here’s your lunch box site for the week:  {From Live Simply: 7 Lunches You Can Make & Freeze}
Recently, I read an article about how more of us freeze meals in the fall and winter than any other time of year.  This post has seven great ideas of lunch foods (and dinner) that you can whip up in bulk and slide in the freezer for easy lunch packing.

Dinners

4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken | gimmesomeoven.com:

Salsa Verde Chicken
One of our favorites – green salsa, chicken breast together in the crock pot for the day then cover with Monterrey jack cheese for the last thirty minutes of cooking.  Yes, I’ve posted it before!  Consider serving it over rice one night and turning it into tacos the next.  Of course you could freeze half and save it for next week!

Progresso Night
You know we love soup.  Duh.  Serve it up with a grilled cheese and apple slices and we’re happy!  I do this on Wednesday nights aka church night.  We are in a rush and need a quick healthy meal.



It is Chili Time!!!
I plan on making a big pot of chili later in the week.  This is the ultimate cabinet clean out crock pot meal.  Beans of all sorts, corn, tomatoes, garlic, onion, pepper, meat if you opt in for that, it is fabulous!  I like to add all sorts of spices and seasonings to mix it up and play with the flavor.  I’m not posting a recipe for this because I think you should get creative with chili.



Have a great week!  See you on Monday with Monday, May I?




1 comment:

  1. Those calzones look like something Military Husband would eat!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!