Sunday, August 30, 2015

Let's Eat! 8/31-9/4



When I write this post I’m reminded at how incredibly fast the weekend goes!  I really hope your weekend has been relaxing and beautiful.  Now let’s regroup for another week ahead.

Let’s eat y’all.

Breakfasts

Well the first week of school really shows you what you need to tweak in the kitchen.  This year my daughter has started out being a non-breakfast kid.  Guys, this kills me beyond explanation.  You need energy and to set your metabolism for the day.  I cannot let her leave without anything on that little tummy so I worked with her to get something down the hatch and in the brain!

The recipe for breakfast will be small, full of fiber and protein.
Last week I shared our love for Fiber One bars and this week I am doing it again.  


I also think I need to tell you Fiber One has not contacted me at all and I’m not paid to include them in a post.  However, if they ever feel the need to call a girl up and offer her a year’s supply of their products I’m ready and willing.

Back to it! 

This week breakfast for the kid will be Fiber One products  - bars, muffins, cookies.  It is true I am against cookies for breakfast but these are more like a filling fiber cookie and not a Chips Ahoy.  I can make small alterations to the meal plan for the sake my kid’s nutrition.

To counter the carb and fiber load of those products we will have plenty of yogurt in the fridge.  I prefer Greek yogurt to Swiss.  Greek yogurt gives you more protein and is a bit more filling thanks to the thick texture. 

If you’re wondering what the mama bear is devouring for breakfast then I should go ahead and tell you.  A bagel thin with a 2 teaspoons of strawberry cream cheese slathered on there.  Yep, eat it up!

Snacks

Guys, I have found two snacks that my kids are tripping billies over. (I imagine tripping billies and talking about my kids in the same sentence is a faux paux.)

Image result for horizon snack crackers

Horizon Snack Crackers, both the peanut butter version and the cheese version, are my kid’s addiction right now.  They want them for snack, meals, and more snack.  The great thing about Horizon is that it is organic and you don’t have to worry about what those crackers are made of or what makes that “cheese” in the middle.  It is real stuff!  The questionable cheese product in other snack crackers has often had me quite aloof!

Apple slices and peanut butter are the classic snack of the week.  You cannot beat that snack.

Emerald Breakfast on the Go! Mixed Berry Yogurt Bites, 1.25 oz, 5 count

Emerald’s Yogurt Bites (Breakfast on the Go) is another great snack for purses or book bags.  Dried fruit, nuts, and covered in a yogurt coating make the sweet tooth and tummy happy at 10a or 2p.

Lunches

Last week the kid enjoyed mini pizzas, a turkey wrap, the good ole peanut butter and jelly, and a salad in her lunch.  I scored big time when I was given a free flat of produce from a truck that wrecked locally.  I had a big fat box of organic spinach, cherry tomatoes, avocados, bananas, pineapple, pears, oranges, peaches, nectarines.  Yes, good eating is what that is called!
A few days this week I packed spinach salads with cherry tomatoes, black olives and celery for crunch!  Mmmm with a red wine vinaigrette it is damn near perfection!

Here is my lunch box pick of the week.  It is labeled for adults but I think you can make a lot of these for your kids too.  Remember, they don't live off PB&J they like to spice things up too!

Over a month's worth of packed lunch ideas - perfect for work! Because lunches aren't just for kids.  | Thirty Handmade Days
Click here to visit the blog!

Dinner

This week we’re eating:

·       Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches then turning the chicken into enchiladas on Tuesday.  I love a double duty meal.

·       Wednesday is soup and salad night.

·       Thursday is reserved for that Mongolian Beef from last week.  I didn’t make it because of some awesome food deals at Sonic (50 cent corn dogs) and laziness on Friday which led me to a tomato sandwich for dinner.

·       Friday night is my daughter’s birthday so we’re up in the air on what we’ll be doing that night.  I know it will be a great out to dinner night.  In her honor I’ll be making tacos very soon.

No sweet treats this week due to more birthday cake rolling in!

Happy eating this week!  




2 comments:

  1. I love Horizon products! They are bomb. I'm the same way about breakfast I just can't. But it would help if I got up at breakfast time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, please tell me how you do this whole buffalo chicken into quesadillas. I don't mind the sandwiches for one dinner but I get tired of them for two meals in a week. Let me in on your secrets!!!! And those packed lunches look wayyyy better than mine.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!