Sunday, August 23, 2015

Let's Eat 8.24-8.29 2015!



I feel like we all get in a cooking rut and my hope is that these posts will help pull us out!  Trust me, I get knocked in the ditch when I'm planning out menus all the time !

If you haven't already - go "like" my Facebook page and lets start a conversation each week on good recipes we’ve had.  There’s nothing better than making something so delicious and then sharing it with others!

I want to warn you this week’s post is LONG!  So bear with me.  I promise to keep the proceeding week’s posts much shorter!

Let’s Eat
August 24-29th

Breakfast



School is back in session so we have two options for breakfast:

1.     Eat at school – free breakfast for all elementary students.
2.     Eat at home – because we are too lazy to get up early enough to make it to breakfast at school.

Guess what?  If you guessed number two you are the lucky winner of eating your breakfast at home tomorrow.

I get bored with having recurring dishes and I just assume everyone else does too.  So here’s how my week’s breakfasts are looking:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Waffles, eggs, sausage
Eggs, toast, grits
Muffins and yogurt
Waffles, eggs, sausage
Kid Pick

I can hear you – you just said, “I don’t have time for that!”  Well shut your mouth and keep reading! Let’s apply these options to nearly everyone….

Waffles – if you don’t have time to pull out the waffle maker then buy a brand you trust!  Eggo, Udi’s, Van’s whatever there are millions of brands of frozen waffles.

Eggs – they take NO TIME to make.  You can use a mug to make your scrambled eggs – just spray it with cooking spray break your egg into the cup and add in a tablespoon of milk, whisk it around and cook for 45-60 seconds in the microwave.  When it is finished “cooking” it will resemble an egg from McDonald’s in shape and texture.  Throw it on an English muffin and you just made the cheapest McMuffin EVER!

Sausage – you do know you can buy Johnsonville Links that are precooked?  Oh you didn’t?  Well you can and they are yummy.  I prefer a turkey option but I can tell you the Johnsonville Pork Sausage Precooked are really good!

Muffins – make them the night before!  But make sure you make them and not the bakery.  The ones you can make at home in 20 minutes are way better for you than the ones you purchase.

Another thing I take into account with breakfast planning is this….Snacking!



In a perfect world we eat five small meals a day, are satiated and look like Jennifer Aniston.  Well, the world is far from perfect and we tend to eat three large meals and then two large snacks and have to fight from being Jennifer’s polar opposite.

A good couple of rules of thumb for us adults– snacks are small & snacks are between meals.  Plan your snack 2-2.5 hours after breakfast and a 1.5 hours from lunch.  And no, a bag of M&M’s is not a snack choice but a DUMB choice. 

My daughter has lunch at 11:30 this year.  She’ll eat her breakfast around 7:30 and be ravenous by the time lunch comes rolling around.  Therefore I’m loading more protein and a few more dense carbs in her breakfast.  (Thanks to snack time being at the end of the day!)

My breakfast will be a lighter version of hers (don’t ask me about my bagel problem).  Why?  Because I’ll have a snack at 10am.  I didn’t want to blow money purchasing separate snacks for the kids versus the adults.  So here’s my snack outlook for this week:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Fiber One Bar
Peanut Butter & Celery
Carrots & Light Ranch
Trail Mix/Popcorn
Fiber One Bar

Fiber One Bars are, for me, a great option for the family.  The kids will eat them and not complain and I feel good that they are getting extra fiber in their diet.  Don’t forget you can get various flavors and appease nearly every palate.  Little Missy is all into the chocolate while I kind of love the streusals!  I have heard people say these bars make them extra gassey.  Look, they don't me but if you are a Fiber One Farter then pick another option like Cliff or Quest.  Just remember, don't eat them on an empty stomach (aka for breakfast).


I purchase the Jif to go and Hidden Valley Lite Ranch to go cups specifically for lunches that are packed for out of the home.  Don’t use those while you are home because that will kill your pocketbook.  Stick to scooping out portion control sizes from the regular canister.

Trail mix is a great snack as long as you try to steer clear of the ones chock full of candy.  Look for dried fruit options.  I’m a sucker for M&M’s so this is particularly hard for me.  (Am I craving M&M’s?  Seriously, that’s the second time I have mentioned them…hmmm)

Skinny pop! We love Skinny Pop in our home and I think your home will love it too.  You can buy a regular bag for about $3 or you can spend around $6 and get mini bags which are perfect for portion control and throwing in the book bag or purse.

Lunch, Lunch, Lady

Image result for lunch lady

I have this weird love of food and making meals.  I get excited about making my daughter’s lunches.  I know it is strange.  Maybe it is something my late Mamaw passed down to me – she was a true lunch lady at my middle school.  Of course that was back in the stone ages when the lunch ladies could actually make the food from scratch or semi scratch.  Today they government sends them heat and eat and threatens them not to add seasonings.  Oops did I say that?  Look, I love lunch ladies and that’s all you should gather from this paragraph.

This week I found a blog post from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom that I couldn’t stop going back to look at.  So I decided it was bread from heaven and I needed to use it as my blue print for my girl’s lunch this week.  I also think I will be enjoying this stuff too.  Here’s the link!
7 Deliciously Creative Lunchbox Ideas

Of course all kids are different and I had to make some adjustments:
  • No salami, we’ll do ham.
  • Tuesday’s tostadas will not include the beans but instead ground turkey I’m saving from the meal the night before.
  • Thursday we will do the mini pizzas but I like to make them on English muffins or bagles instead of the chips.
  • Friday will be subbed with Sunday’s meal.

Ahhhh flexibility is the secret of life I tell you!

We’ll also put in some milk but have water in the lunch too.  My kid is iffy on milk but it is important as she’s growing!

Dinners…  I mean it is the real reason you visited today right?



This week we’re eating some dang good food.

Classic Meat Loaf Recipe

Tonight we’re having meat loaf, asparagus, and creamed potatoes.  I’m saving some of the ground meat for lunch on Tuesday.  That way my daughter can have tostadas!


Tomorrow is my son’s birthday and he will be three. I like to cook whatever the kids love for their birthday dinner but this year we are going out!  Little Man said he wanted spaghetti and meatballs so we're going to celebrate his day at a local Italian restaurant!


Tuesday’s dinner is going to be grilled pork chops, corn, and roasted red potatoes.  That my friends is good eating.  Also, pork chops are on sale in my area this week at ALL the grocery stores.

parmesan chicken breast tenders recipe

Wednesday night we’re having homemade chicken tenders, green beans, and mac and cheese for the kids.  Total kid friendly night, right?

Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef Recipe on MyRecipeMagic.com from the Six Sisters. This is so delicious and smells amazing!

Thursday, my crock pot will be doing the dirty work as it makes Mongolian Beef.

Friday I plan to celebrate a successful start to the school year by having the kids pick the dinner they want to devour.  The kids tend to want chicken noodle soup, not kidding.  I always keep a few cans of Progresso's Lite Chicken Noodle Soup on standby.  They prefer it over the regular condensed soup.

Saturday is my husband’s choice unless he is at a Fantasy Football Draft. 

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Out for the Little Man's 3rd Birthday!
Pork Chops, corn, roasted red potatoes
Homemade Chicken Tenders, green beans, and mac n cheese
Crock Pot Mongolian Chicken
Kid’s Choice!
Maybe we’ll order out?  Or maybe we'll have chicken noodle soup!

What I’m baking this week?

From-scratch funfetti cake with whipped vanilla bean buttercream. I think John would love this.

Nothing, we should have plenty of birthday cake around here for the next two weeks!

Have a yummy week, friends!  See you tomorrow with Monday, May I!




1 comment:

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!