Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Book Review: Kids These Days



I walked in, purposefully, to my local library with a list of books and authors I wanted to check out.  I walked out with this book.  No, Drew Perry wasn't on my list and Kids These Days sure as fire wasn't on my list.

The book was sitting on the "new arrivals" section and the title caught my eye.  Working with teens the majority of the time and Kids These Days  just seem to go together hand in hand.

Well, the book isn't really about teenagers, though one important character is a teenage girl who is really filling that whole teenager role.  This book is about a thirty-something couple who had a nice little life and thanks to the economic strife of 2000-somehting they find themselves unemployed (one by choice one not by choice) and in Florida.

From Amazon:

Walter and Alice are expecting their first baby, but their timing is a bit off: Walter, once a successful loan officer, has been unexpectedly downsized. They’ve had to relocate to Florida so that they can live rent-free--in Alice’s deceased aunt’s condo. When Alice’s brother-in-law Mid offers Walter a job, he literally can’t refuse. But what he doesn’t know--about the nature of the job, about the depth of Mid’s shady dealings, about what he’s really supposed to be doing--far outweighs what he does know. And soon enough, things escalate so out of control that Walter is riding shotgun with Mid in a bright yellow Camaro--chased by the police.

Though I cannot directly relate to this story; it does have some pings and pangs of events I think (many of us) early 30 somethings can relate to.  There is the fear of becoming a parent, pregnancy issues, family strife, and economic struggles.

The one thing this book throws in hot and heavy....humor.  You will appreciate Perry's comedy as you turn these pages.

Check this book out and enjoy.

Share what you are reading here in the comments or on my Facebook wall (search ABW).


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!