Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Comfort (food) & Joy (drinks)



Maybe it is true that I feel like my posts are filled with sugary, artery clogging goodness these days.  I'm sorry but cookies are a weakness.  While I'm pining over what flour, sugar, eggs, and shortening baked good I'll make I tend to forget the real food - the good food - the nourishing food.

True, I am the girl who will make a dinner out of a cookie platter.

We're not all like that though and I do need to pull together some "real food" ideas.  Especially for this week!  So here's what I came up with.  (Thanks Sister Pinterest.)

1.  Chicken Cacciatore from Proud Italian Cook

chicken cacciatore

I'm not a big Italian foods eater.  I know, crazy right?  However, this I can eat! I'm not a big fan of noodles laden with cheese and sauce but the nice vegetable mixture makes this palate pleasing to me.  With the weather being quite warm here I'm not sure if I could pull it off right now but as soon as the temps drop again this would be the perfect warm-me-up-winter-dish!

2.  Crock Pot Chicken & Stuffing from The Cozy Cook

Crock Pot Chicken And Stuffing

Warning - if you are on sodium restriction just pass this part.  This is a recipe I have made many times except not in a crock pot.  I think this may be the supreme comfort food in our home!  This is a very thick and full dish that I always like to serve with green beans.  I do not know anyone who turns their nose up to Chicken & Stuffing!

3 - Rosemary Garlic Butter Steak from Vintage Kitchen

Rosemary Garlic Butter Steak + Tips for Cooking a Great Steak

A month or so ago my husband stocked our freezer with steak and burgers.  Don't ask.  With the warm weather we can fire up the grill with no problems.  I love steak (it isn't looking very good for me huh?  Sweets, steak, sodium...) and finding new recipes for steak is fabulous.

Drink

I found a great bourbon recipe to share thanks to The Cocktail Chronicles over at The Speckled Palate.  Y'all know I like my bourbon (with water or Cocacola) and now I have a new mix to add to the bourbon files.

Bourbon, cranberry juice, lemon juice and simple syrup are combined to make this delightful winter cocktail, The Blizzard. Serve with frozen cranberries or ice and enjoy during the chilly months.

It is the Blizzard and consists of bourbon, cranberry juice, lemon juice, and simple syrup.  Get ready, get set, I'm making it Christmas Eve.

Oh and because I feel the need:  If you drink do it like a grown up and not a 20 year old.  Sip smart and don't crawl in anything that has a motor, pedals, or is battery operated.

Alrighty, so there are three "real food" ideas for the week or next week or next month, whatever!  Maybe we will get around to them, maybe not but at least I pulled some together.

Now go celebrate the season!

#tastytuesday



3 comments:

  1. I have food in my post today too!
    This all looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all look great, cept I don't like bourbon. I'll have a coke instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many yums here. Making me drool with envy. I like the cocktail idea for Christmas. Glad you linked with us today on Tuesday Talk.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!