Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Pancake Diaries

Back in September, so long ago, I decided to be a super mom.

When I say super mom I just mean I decided to treat my children to a new pancake recipe each Saturday until I was burned out on firing up the griddle.  From that experience of three weeks of pancake making, I bring you the pancake diaries.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes are everything you need this Fall!

Entry 1:  Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes.

It was a beautiful September Saturday morning.  Having just came off a grocery trip I was ready to begin my pancake making time.  The cabinet held the ingredients I would need to make these pancakes that I deemed to be out of the ordinary for my household.

You must know I cannot stand anything cavity causing sweet then covered in anything cavity causing sweet for breakfast.  Unless of course it is a Krispy Kreme donut.

By taking on this idea of trying out pancake recipes I was stepping out of my comfort zone.

But I did it.

I purchased the pumpkin puree and chocolate chips.  The other ingredients were already sitting longingly on my shelf.

This was the recipe I used for these pancakes:

From Sally's Baking Addiction: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

My God did they come out delicious.  You really did not even need to syrup for these pancakes.  The kids adored them and I ate half of one with my coffee and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, I felt guilty.  I needed protein not carbs and sugar.

Oh to be 8 again....

Entry 2:  Apple Pie Pancakes

Apple Pie Pancakes with Vanilla Maple Syrup - Just as good as apple pie but healthier & way less work!

Fall is so sweet - even before it starts.  The next weekend came quickly and once again I had stocked for this pancake challenge I had placed on myself.  This week we would bid adieu to pumpkin and opt for fall's other favorite fruit - the apple.

Apples are in fresh season here in North Carolina so I was happy to pick up some fresh picked local ones.  This recipe came with an option to tweak the syrup to give the pancakes a more robust apple pie feel.

These are my favorite.

The children enjoyed these immensely too.  The week before chocolate had tickled their taste buds this week vanilla sent them into a taste heaven.

The recipe I used come from Averie Cooks

I plan to make these again.

I ate two pancakes and drank my coffee....I think this was a utopian moment.

Entry 3:  Cake Mix Pancakes



The weekend started and ended rainy.  Perfect to play in the kitchen when its dreary out.  I decided to take a stab at these pancakes I heard about through rumors.  Use a cake mix they said.  It will be easy they said.

They were correct.

My daughter picked a Carrot Cake mix and on Saturday morning we made a very delicious, not too sweet pancake with them.

What a wonderful treat and simple to make.  This recipe allowed me to freeze two batches for breakfast the following week.

I used this recipe from Gimme Delicious.


What is your favorite pancake to make?  Share it with me, my kids will be so excited you did!





2 comments:

  1. I officially NEED apple pie pancakes in my life this weekend! And cake mix - I hadn't heard of that idea before. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!