Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Let's Eat: Thanksgiving Ideas (Sides)



The new look of Let's Eat!  I'm excited to change up my weekly post from what we (may) be eating to ideas for us all with themes.

And what better time of the year to do all this than the holidays?

Today I'm focusing on side dishes for Thanksgiving.  It could be safe to say the days of one person making the entire meal are passing away.  When I was growing up my Mammaw made the entire meal and the rest of us just showed up with empty bellies!  Today, it seems we have moved to more of a potluck style gathering.

This girl loves a potluck.  (When it is a potluck with people she knows...if I don't know you I'm a little weary of that casserole because I may be wondering if a small cat nation was sitting on the counter as you created it.  Truth!)

Today I have compiled a list of some of my most loved sides and some new sides to try out.  I cannot wait to hear what your go to side dish is!  Be sure to leave some comments here, on Google+, or on the Facebook page!

Favorite Sides

1.  Stuffing - Generally the hottie who bakes up your turkey is going to go ahead and prep that stuffing.  I just have to say, do you really need a turkey for stuffing?  Oh.heck.no.  Stuffing is like the food god of autumn.  We need stuffing with every entree - chicken, pork, shoot I would even eat it with seafood (deviled crab stuffing!)

Let’s be honest: The sides are the real stars of the Thanksgiving table! All you need is 4 simple ingredients (canned green beans, condensed cream of mushroom soup, milk and French-fried onions) to craft this spectacular, creamy veggie dish—one of our most-pinned Thanksgiving recipes. Click through for the full recipe and to watch the how-to video.:

2.  Green Beans and or Green Bean Casserole - I think we have the old Campbell's company to thank for this dish (casserole).  So many people really love some GBC and I admit I like a helping but just one.  Green beans are a weakness for me so bring them on and if you dare - mix in some corn with them.

3.  Turnip Greens - Realizing I could be alone on this one...I love turnip greens with both turkey and ham.  If you can cook them properly (and a bit unhealthy) then share your recipe because I have yet to make them the way my Mammaw did.

Classic Deviled Eggs. This is my Family's recipe! The recipe that tastes like HOME!  Smooth and creamy flavorful filling with just the right classic seasonings and a simple secret ingredients!:

4.  Deviled Eggs - Somebody who is new to this blog just said - Oh my god, a Southerner!  Well, you don't have to be Southern to like any of these foods listed and especially not to like deviled eggs!  I only fix them at holidays and boy do they go quickly!

5.  Sweet Potato Casserole - Because you have to have at least three casseroles on the table for it to be a true holiday!  I also think that there is a requirement that says you must eat sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving.  North Carolina appreciates that as we're one of the top sweet potato producers in the land.

Sides to try:

1.  Hashbrown Casserole - Probably one of the best casseroles known to man.  It is very rich and hearty and it won't last five seconds.

No more boring mashed potatoes this Thanksgiving - Not with these Parmesan Herb Roasted Potatoes by @cookingclassy:

2.  Parmesan Herb Roasted Potatoes - Yes mashed potatoes have their spot on the table but mixing it up and making a little healthier white potato (or red potato) never hurt anyone!

3.  Apple, Cranberry, Walnut Salad - I just realized salad is never, ever on the table when we eat Thanksgiving lunch!  Everyone is always talking about the calorie load on Thanksgiving so why not lighten it up with this festive salad.

4.  Wild Rice with Mushrooms - I vote to replace anything that looks like mac and cheese with this!  Yeah, I cannot stand mac n cheese.  But this recipe from Southern Living looks like a winner, winner, turkey dinner.

Thanksgiving Dinner Side Dishes: Double Cranberry Apple Sauce

5.  Double Cranberry Applesauce - Aren't we all used to the canned jiggly circles of cranberry?  Ewww.  Side note:  I didn't touch cranberry sauce until well into my twenties.  I really like fresh cranberry sauce and if you can deviate from the can and whip some up, call me I'll try it!  While checking out Southern Living I stumbled upon this cool play on cranberry sauce - combining it with apple sauce.  Yummy!

Vist my Fall 2015 Pinterest Board for recipes, fashion, decor and more!
Follow Amanda's board fall 2015 on Pinterest.








2 comments:

  1. Drools.
    I seriously go HAM when I'm around Thanksgiving food. I'm like a zombie unleashed at a MENSA conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what other people have during the holidays. My mom served a green bean casserole similar to the one you showed and it was ages ago. I remember loving it. I will have to make it for my kids. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!