Monday, September 8, 2014

We Are Safe.

I try to pre-plan all blog posts.  I will sit down, generally on a Sunday, and write out what all I will be typing about for the week and up to three weeks ahead.  I do this so that I don't face the unfortunate writer's block.

Today I had two posts written down and one officially written.  The first one was entitled:  Where Do I Go From Here and the second was This Old House One Year Later.

Do you remember that song by Alanis Morrisette called Ironic?  Now is the time for that song to play.

On Saturday evening my husband and I had our babysitter come over so we could have a little date night.  We hadn't had one in nearly a month and it was way over due!  While we were gone a storm came through where we live.  It was your typical thunderstorm but the rain was in large amounts and the wind did a number on many trees.

Since we were in Greensboro we didn't know the extent of what was going on.  As soon as we received a text from the sitter that it was storming pretty bad we eased back home.

On the way to our house, literally just seconds away, a road was closed off by a fire truck.  We met utility repairmen on the road.  Some marquee signs had been blown around.  Ok, it was a pretty bad thunderstorm.

Pulling into our home was nothing out of the ordinary.  It was obvious we had received more rain than usual.  Our driveway was washed out and gravel were in our yard a long with areas that the water had beaten down the grass and plants so much that it was nothing but mud.

Then I noticed, as I was getting ready to walk in my house, a strange shadow in the front.  I asked my husband what it was and he said I should just go inside.

The babysitter left and it wasn't long before we evacuated as well.

Two of our foundation walls were totally gone.  Caved in and washed away.  Support beams to the house broken.  Plumbing severed.  A water line that marked one inch under two feet showed us where the water had came in to do the damage.

The first thing that came to this mama's mind was - How did my kids and sitter not end up in this basement?  How did the electrical not catch fire?  How is this house still standing?

I was overwhelmed with everything and for the first time in 9 years and 2 months I hit the ground, weak, distraught and at the same time overwhelmed that everyone was ok.

In every ugly event there is something so golden, such a gift from God, such a testimony to His presence.  The fact everyone was ok and hadn't really known what had happened underneath them was proof that God was there and taking care of my kids, my sitter, and her sister.

We are now living at my mom's house as we await insurance to assess and deliver our options via our home owner's policy.   We will be here until the house is repaired or other measures are taken.

So back to prepping for blog posts.  Like I said, today had two options:  Where Do I Go From Here and the other This Old House A Year Later.  Neither posted today because my story took a turn a very ironic turn that right now we're not sure where we're going from here and a year later this old house is an uninhabitable disaster zone.

I appreciate your love and prayers and friendship.  I'll be posting updates as I get them.

Happy Monday to you!






2 comments:

  1. Hugs and prayers to you and your family. Sounds like a few of us had some not so great things happen this past week. So glad your kids are safe. Fingers crossed this week is a bit better!
    One of my favorite quotes (from Pooh of course)....
    "Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter thank you think." :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!