Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday Memoirs: That Trip To Wilmington 2000 {Boats & Benadryl}

button



I think it is safe to say every kid has a best friend that they are practically attached to the hip with.  Ok maybe not in 2014 but back in the 1990s it was pretty normal.

My best friend was Amy.

Amy and I got into all kinds of crazy situations.  We had a freakin' blast together.  Seriously, tons of stupid stories between she and I.

It is sad but we aren't really close friends anymore and never see each other.  It is safe to reveal that she'll always be my girl who I have tons of fun teenage memories with and really learned a lot about life with.

So in 2000 we headed to Wilmington together. A girl's trip just she and I.  We had a free place to stay {with someone who would become the pit of many jokes} and we had a long history of going there together with my family.

I don't want to ramble on but one night we decided to go to the beach.  Where we were staying was very close to Pleasure Island {Carolina, Kure, and Fort Fisher Beaches}. We decided to go over there instead of Wrightsville.  First we drove thru McDonald's to get ice cream because that had became some sort of holy sacrament for us.  Then we parked and walked around.

There just so happened to be a "party cruise" going out while we were walking around.  We decided "why not" and hopped aboard.

To say we may have been the most intelligent creatures aboard that vessel at 18 years of age may be conceited ....but friends....I'm afraid it was true at the time.

See, there were a handful of people on board and they had some interesting apparel choices...rebel flags of all makes and models, rodeo shirts {think Garth Brooks 1993}, daisy dukes on your great aunt Gertie.

Then there were the hairstyles:  teased and sprayed bangs, his and her's mullets, tight perms.

This was 2000 not 1984.

Considering we were the youngest meat on the boat we were getting a lot of attention.  A lot of Marlboro Red smelling men wanted to dance with us.  We laughed like Butthead and shook it like no other.  The older lady with the Virginia Slim hanging from her lip, super permed mullet, daisy dukes, and grandmama's pearls on was not happy to have us aboard.  She was out to get laid by god and we were in her way I guess....seriously we weren't but she didn't get that.

After getting a little too hit on by a very mulleted he-warrior of Lot 7 Trailer B we escaped to the bathroom and took various Captain Morgan pictures by the toilet and surplus closet of toilet paper.

We finally docked and ran to our car.  Due to allergies my sweet Amy took a gulp of benadryl when we were headed back on the road.  It looked a bit sketch and an officer took notice and tailgated me back into Wilmington.  I was freaked out and we started yelling at each other.  We turned into the townhouse complex and walked to the door of a town house to go in for the night.  Amy was ahead of me and walked in, through, and back out....she had walked in the wrong unit.

Yep, we had a fun time.





2 comments:

  1. Ha! I love this! How skeeved out were you young ladies?! What a time-warp cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! You sound sooo much like my friend Megan!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!