Monday, June 15, 2015

Camping 101: Things to keep in the (pop up) camper!



Today I am sharing with you the must haves in our little pop up!

Since our little camper isn't a cool one that you can easily store everything in without having to take it out before collapsing it, I have to be creative with storage.

I hate the idea of packing everything every time we go on an adventure.  Packing just isn't fun for this girl.  To keep myself semi organized and semi sane I keep some items in the camper so I don't run the chance of forgetting them.  (Seriously, who likes having to make a store run for something you forgot?)

Image result for dollar tree

Most of the items in this post are readily available to you at your local Dollar Tree - one thing I love about camping - its inexpensive! *Denotes Dollar Tree items.

Toiletries



I love the plastic storage shoe boxes (Dollar Tree).  I keep one in our camper strictly for toiletries.  Always kept in the camper is:

1.  Toothpaste
2.  Toothbrushes
3.  Body wash
4.  Shampoo
5.  Comb

Along with these items I keep:

1.  Band aids
2.  Neosporin
3.  Sunblock
4.  Bug Spray (OFF)

All of these items are available at Dollar Tree.  You can pack a box or two to keep in your camper/camping pack too and spend a very minimal amount of money.  Don't you love it?

Cooking



Our pop up doesn't have a kitchen.  When we camp we grill!  A few items stay in a storage compartment inside the pop up.

1.  Spatula*
2.  Aluminum Foil*
3.  Paper plates*
4.  Disposable cutlery*
5.  Charcoal
6.  Coffee maker
7.  Coffee filters*
8.  The grill (a suitcase style)

Yes, I have to have my morning coffee!!!  I tried to buy the premade pods of coffee for a traditional maker but its too weak for me, bring on the trucker coffee!

Paper & Plastics



I would hate to think I had forgot these staples:

1.  Trash bags - yes for trash but also for dirty clothes and towels.*
2.  Ziplock bags - for food and other smaller items that you need to keep up with.*
3.  A roll of paper towels*
4.  Newspaper - just in case you need it for your campfire!

Linens



I purchased a medium size plastic storage tote for our camping linens.  Since we have a pop up camper we have two "beds".  In the warm months you don't need more than a flat and fitted sheet on each bed (hello Southern summers).  In the tote I keep:

1.  Bed sheets - one queen and one king size.
2.  Pillows for the beds
3.  Towels for bathing
4.  Beach towels

I keep these items stored in the tote and wash them after a trip, repack, and store in the camper.

We also have four sleeping bags that are stored in a compartment in the pop up.  In the cooler camping months we snuggle up in them but often they are just a comforter for our beds.

I keep a smaller fleece blanket for the evenings by the camp fire.  It never fails to amaze me how it can be 95 degrees during the day but by sun down you're chilly and wanting a blanket!

Cleaning



Even though I am cleaning freak I chill out during camping.  So, no, you won't see a vacuum listed (but how cool would that be!)...

I really only keep one cleaning item in the camper and that is a Lysol style cleaning wipe (I like Sam's brand). These do the work I need for the pop up.  I can wipe down the camper with them and take care of messes too.  Baby wipes are also very powerful cleaning wipes.  You would be very amazed at how much "work" they can do.

Other things to keep in the camper....



Musty smells can happen!  I keep a Renuzit cone* in the camper to keep it smelling fresh.

Books and magazines!  I really love to read when we camp so I try to bring a book.  This year I'm hitting up Goodwill for books to store in the camper for my daughter and I.  Old magazines are great to throw in there too.

A deck of cards* for the evenings when you can't think of anything to do!  Throw in a couple board games too.

A radio...music makes life better!

An extra phone charger...because you need to be able to call out if necessary.






2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got this system down to a science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might have forgotten to have somewhere to pack a bottle or two of muscat, rum or cabernet sauvignon!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!