Thursday, November 21, 2013

Traditions


I am not sure where my brain has been but apparently it has taken a vacation without letting me know.  The other day I was reading one of my preferred blogs {Tattered To Taylored} and commented she didn't need to worry over Thanksgiving since it was two weeks away.

Um...????  

Thanksgiving was 9 days from the post she had put up.  

See, my brain is somewhere tropical obviously.

So now I am facing the fact that I am two weeks behind on everything and I am getting a little nervous!  There is a lot on the agenda for us this time of year and I'm trying to bring myself into current time and not backwards.  I guess we can blame this loss of calendar space in the brain on the house and parenting right?

----

Now that I am getting back into gear I thought I would share some of our traditions (I haven't forgot those) that we have for Thanksgiving.

1.  The Christmas Parade

Photo from Christmas Parade past - eventcrazy.com (yes that's my downtown)

Ironically it is held before Thanksgiving so I think they should change the name to the Thanksgiving Parade.  If you haven't guessed we live in a small town.  Now, its not the smallest of smalls with a population sign on the "Welcome" sign but it is not a large booming metropolis.  

We have a Mayberry-esque downtown (DT) and unfortunately it cannot hold a business to save its life.  There is one good restaurant, a vet clinic, a dog groomer, a pool hall, and a bar.  Of course it is also the hub for business for the county and a few small town law firms.

The DT of this little place only really comes to life for events like:  The Christmas Parade, The Criterium, and a couple of little events through out the year like The Daniel Boone Festival and Four Oaks Festival)...

For the past five years we've been a part of the Christmas Parade by riding on my husband's work's float (which consists of a rollback decorated with as many people as can fit and items to throw at the attendees).  Our daughter LOVES this - I think its the whole throwing stuff at people that really gets her excited.  Must admit I kinda like that part too.

Since little man is a toddler he will not be joining us as we creep down Main Street this year.  I think I would be a nervous wreck as he tried to do death defying feats.

2.  Tree Lighting

This is it.  Thanks to afar.com for letting me use their picture.

This used to be a tradition for me when I was a little girl.  Back to Downtown...there are four huge Oak Trees on the square of this little town and a few years ago it was decided to deck them in lights and Griswald those babies up.  When I was a kid there was a massive evergreen placed beside the courthouse and they would light it up.  I'm not sure why they quit with the evergreen but it doesn't matter because seeing the oaks lit up is a pretty site.  However, its not just the trees that get some white light magic, the outline of the buildings are all donned with white lights as well.  It is very pretty.

Along with the tree lighting they also do a bed race now (slow down fast girls it isn't that kind of bed race).  We have yet to attend this so I believe it will be the newest tradition to our holiday schedule.

3.  Thanksgiving Day

Greene Tree Farm Choose and Cut Fraser Fir Christmas Trees and Wreaths Boone NC Christmas Tree Farms in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina
Photo from greenetreefarm.com



Ahhh my favorite holiday on earth.  Don't get me wrong I'm super happy Jesus was born and we celebrate his birth (though it is a little too materialistic and big business) but if you want to make me happy give me Thanksgiving.  No hassles, no worries, no debit card craziness....ahhh.

When our first born was a tiny baby we had a lot of issues with holidays.  My family is split since my mom and dad divorced when I was at the tender age of 27.  My husband's family is also split but he has more to do with his dad's side than his mom's.  So when you throw in three different family events all around the same time of day and a little tiny baby you get overwhelmed.

We decided when our baby was about to celebrate her second Turkey Day there would be no more extended family Turkey Day celebrating.  We would take that precious day and use it for our little family and our little family alone.

It was decided we would go to Boone for the day.  We would get a traditional Thanksgiving meal and then go on up the mountain to get our Christmas tree.  All the while it would be at a slow, nice pace so we could enjoy our time together in a different environment.

We always hit up the same restaurant even though their new location in a strip mall sucks. Then we do a little fun Christmas shopping and off we go to {Greene Tree Farm} to get our pretty little Christmas Tree.  The day isn't done until we have stopped at the Wilkesboro Walmart to get some decorations for the tree. Dang, Brownie is always bringing Walmart into this!

When we get home the tree goes up as do the decorations and then we all veg out together and watch football.  

Ok guys I think my mind is back on track....lets do this holiday season thang in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....


2 comments:

  1. I'm an adult child of divorce too!!! My parents split when I was 24-25. So hard. So stinks. Sometimes I think it's harder as an adult bc the family you grew up with doesn't exist anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is a child of divorce too and our families are pulling us every which way. Once we got married, Thanksgiving will be at our house and who ever wants to spend time with us can come. But we aren't going anywhere. It's hard enough to try and please everyone so this was our solution.

    http://innerworkingsofthefemalemind.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!