Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Birthday # 32

Today is my birthday.

I am thirty-two today.  What the hell?  How did I get to 32 this damn fast?  Seriously, I was just in elementary school right?  No wait maybe I was in college and partying like mad.  Whatever....I'm the three and two together....

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the speed of life but I can't.  However, I can tell you I am savoring every morsel of birthday goodness.

It started with a card from my husband....it made me cry and in my intense I will not cry mode I used the bed sheet as a tissue.  Then it was a Dunkin' Donuts coffee.  Then it was to work where my sweet coworker surprised me with...chocolate cake (like a whole, homemade chocolate cake), Lofthouse sugar cookies (weak in the knees), and a card all the preschoolers signed.  I had 13 little voices telling me Happy Birthday at various times of the morning.  

Next came silence.  The kind you never get that makes you go ahhhh.  I had lunch at mom's house.  Strangely enough it was roast beef and mashed potatoes.  That may sound like nothing but this is where it gets me....

My Mammaw used to make each of us a birthday dinner.  She would ask what we wanted and she would make it.  I always asked for the same thing:  roast beef, mashed potatoes, green beans, and apple cake.  She's been dead for eight years and it has been nine years since I had my birthday dinner made by her hands.


Today as I sat in my mom's livingroom, all by myself, I ate leftover roast beef and mashed potatoes.  Gonna admit it ya'll.....I broke down like a break down.  Crying quietly thinking back on other birthdays a long time ago when I'd sit in the yellow plastic backed chair in my Mammaw's kitchen with a plate of her yummy food in front of me and her across from me.  


I really miss her.

Like some kind of bad.

Lately, I've had some feelings of her being with me.  A couple weeks ago when I was at a friend's house I seriously felt her presence like you wouldn't believe.  It sat me on my tail.  Today, eating a bowl of leftovers in the silence.

I've been given, thus far, an exact 32 years on this planet and I am grateful for every nanosecond....every blessing...every heart ache.... every hello....every goodbye...every good meal that triggers a memory made or a memory in the making.  

I pray today that God grants me a whole bunch more.

Love ya'll.  Thank you for your emails and FB messages, posts, etc today.


6 comments:

  1. happy birthday, beautiful!!!!!! and i think when you feel a presence like that...it's real. she was there girl. she is still with you always!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!
    Dry your eyes with the bed sheet, sit down and eat some chocolate cake while you imagine your Mammaw holding your hand and telling you funny stories of things you used to do when you were a toddler!
    And really? 32? You don't even look 30 to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I know what you mean about missing people. I am not sure if it is this time of year or what but I have been thinking about my missing loved ones so much here lately. I try to find comfort knowing they never really leave us and that I will see them again one day!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!