Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Prayer

4.23.13

I was checking out headlines while the kids were snoozing.  I generally pick a DVR'd boob tube show to veg out to for thirty minutes while the kids are sleeping and jump on the net to check the email.  Today I decided to look at headlines as well.  This is not me.  The news is not something I care for.  This world is swimming in what I consider to be a pool of evil.  The media wants me to dwell on it and read all they have to write and take in all the photos they want to shove in my face.  I refuse.

One headline made me say - enough is enough.

Christian - a follower of Jesus Christ.  A person who believes He was and is indeed the messiah.  True Christians live simply.  They were given simple yet in this world difficult tasks to do in their life on Earth.  1.  Love one another - no matter who or what they say, do, or believe - Just as Jesus loved us all.  2.  Share Jesus with others who may or may not know Him.  Two basic tasks.

The media seems to dislike Christians.  It seems television, internet, radio, and print sources of "news" have two big issues when it comes to religion - associate Islam with radicals and associate Christianity with nutjobs. 

I'm a Christian and I'm taking a stand.  I am 100% over the way your television set and your radios and computer screens show Christians.  And while I am at it - I am not afraid of Islamic followers not every single person who follows Islam is out to blow up the world.

I am taking a stand.

A man and woman in Pennsylvania are sick and twisted.  They have went off the deep end and the end result is two children who are dead.  One died a few years back due to the parents not allowing medical professionals to intervene.  Now an eight month old is dead for the same reasons.

Their excuse:  They wanted to pray for God to heal their child.

What I hear:  1.  They are mentally lacking.  2.  They are using religion as a cover up.  3.  They need to be spayed/neutered.

Here's my philosophy and I don't think I am alone.  Also, I'm not saying I'm straight up the answer girl because I sure as fire am not.  I do claim to have something called common sense!

God is an awesome power.  He (or she) is over us and blesses us with grace and unending love.  God wants nothing more than for his creation to do what is right and live in peace and love.  However, God gave us free will so that we could live our lives as we deem fit.  His hope is for us to do what is right and live in peace and love.  Unfortunately, the power of evil intices us so much more easily than the power of what is right.

The Bible says all things that are good comes from God.  Think about what is good.  What do you see every day that is good?  The smile on a stranger's face?  Your dog or cat?  Your job?  Your family?  The medicine that worked?  The food on your table?

All things that are good come from God.

Modern medicine and the ability to prevent deadly illness by an innoculation.

Simple surgery that prevents death.

An x-ray to verify a bone's structure.

A PET scan to locate the cancer.

Thirty minutes in a dentist's chair to remove the decay and the pain.

One vial of blood to check for the illness.

One doctor who went to school to be a physician because he or she really wants to help people.

One nurse who loves holding the hand of her patient and assuring them they will get through this.

A hospital that takes your child no matter what your finances are.

I am a Christian.  I believe in prayer but prayer is one piece of the puzzle.  Prayer also requires action - if we could pray away cancer would we need to still search for a cure?  If we could pray away the flu would teachers be so nervous when the season starts and the runny noses are dripping away?  If we could pray away anything God wouldn't have allowed for the invention of medicine.

I am a Christian but I am not an idiot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!