Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I had a revelation.

4.10.13


Today a mom said goodbye to her son.
He wasn't moving out or going on a trip. 
He wasn't going to school or to go work out.
He wasn't staying home while she went to work.

He was returning to his true home.

He left his spirit cart and ventured to eternity.

He was a teenage kid. He was a boy who battled cancer and lost an organ and a limb in the process.  He kept fighting though.  He fought til the end.  I imagine God reached down and said, "That's enough, son.  It is time to come with me."

--------------------------------------------------------

Once upon a time many moons ago when I was around 13 I babysat for a couple.  They had a preschool boy and I spent most weekends hanging out with him while they had date nights.  The mom was super nice.  The dad was a little wacko.  I'll never forget him running through the house screaming - "I had a revelation!  I had a revelation!"

This morning his words were in my ears -  I too had a revelation.

I was 65% complete with my workout when I received a text from my little brother that said one of his peers had passed away.  I didn't know the young man personally, I just knew him from all the attention he had recieved due to his cancer battle, I was a follower of his on Twitter, and I kept him in my prayers. 

The text said he had died.  My eyes immediately went to my workout partner - my own son, 7 months old.  I experienced a pain in my heart and my gut.  For a moment I saw my son perhaps the same way that child's mom did many years ago when he was an infant.

My baby - full of happiness, learning, and joy.

My baby - he'll get all the best I can afford to give him.

My baby - he has a great future.

Then my revelation.

My baby - a gift to me with no guarantees.  I can only continue to pray that God keeps him heatlhy, safe, and cared for for all his days.

We don't see the forest for the trees sometimes because we are humans.  We think that since we sit at the top of the food chain and brain development hierarchy then we are destined to be fabulous and only get the best of the best.  We are quite snotty aren't we? We are quite foolish to think we're so untouchable.

Time to stop living in denial.

Time to start realizing we are just simple humans who in the grande scheme of life have little to no control over what our tomorrows hold.  Each breath we are given, our children are given, our friends are given is not a guarantee but a gift.  No one says you have to live to 85.  For some its 5 minutes, 5 days, 5 years, 17 years, 49 years, 109 years.

Today is the first day of a new view on life as it is.  Today is the day to rejoice in dirty diapers, 100's on spelling and biology tests, prom dresses, broke down trucks, leaky foundations, another grocery trip, a home run, a missed catch, a soccer kick, dance recitals, major declarations, a good doctor's visit, another anniversary, a best friend, an old acquaitance, life as it is.

I dare you.

-------------------------------------------

Be good to each other -


Brownie

Sharing is caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!