Monday, April 22, 2013

Another weekend for the books!

4.22.13

Your mother earth wants you to know it is her special day.  The only thing she asks is to put down the Aquanet, stub out the cig, and use your recycle bins for more than storage.  She's really lax these days because we humans are getting dumber by the day.

-------------------------------

Wuzzup Minnesota?

------------------------------

Well I hope you all had a good weekend!  Mine was good, can't complain.  The little girl played her soccer game.  Made it to the 3rd quarter before she started complaining and wanting to quit.  She played goalie too....bless her heart. 

My little man now has a head full of teeth.  I am not kidding.  Uppers, lowers, sides, backs (sounds like an exercise routine huh?).  My baby is grow, grow, growing! 


The interior of my livingroom had a tiny little make over.  I'll share that later.

The hubby used his health insurance. 

I got a break yesterday afternoon!  That was pretty awesome!  So let's see what is up....

-----------------------------

First up, my daughter has been wanting an "owl" bedroom for a while now.  She has stuck with this idea for over six months.  Yesterday, while I was on my child-free excursion to find samples for the remodel - I went to Michael's.

Must note, Micheal's is totally acceptable for remodel ventures! Their whole current bird/chicken decor section has been a huge inspiration for the ideas behind my new kitchen.  Also...think of all the wonderful decorating tools you can DIY for when it is time to do the pretty stuff.  Exactly.

Anyhoo - it turns out the tween decor with owls was 60% off.  Needless to say I got some cute stuff for less than $15.  She has her theme and I spent little cash to acheive it.

Also, I didn't want to do a total re-do of her room because she won't be in that room until she flies our coop.  In a few years her room will be rennovated to the master suite - I'll save the painting and major decorating adjustments for that time.




--------------------------------

On Friday I was feeling the craft itch.  For me, this itch is well....hmmm few and far between.  When I get it, I better find some relief fast.  So I decided to make a corsage for my brother's prom date.

Fresh flowers are great but they don't last very long....especially on a corsage.

I was a bit proud of myself. 




 

On the way to Ms. Reyanne's arm
Two ribbons, a slap bracelet, and a bunch of silks with some blinged out tiny wire roses.....give it a hot glue gun and twenty minutes....


---------------------------------------------------------

So, yes, it was the prom weekend.  My brother is 17 and it was his first prom.  He learned how overrated the event is but it is part of the high school experience.  He cleaned up nice in his tuxedo with baby pink vest and bowtie.  His girlfriend was gorgeous in her blush (not bashful) colored gown - it was a beautiful Grecian cut with just the right dazzle on the front.  His friend Anthony had a silver flare to match his beautiful date's silver and jeweled gown.

Here are some pics I took.... 





I love retro stuff....guess you can tell huh?
-------------------------------------------------------

Got to get sentimental for a hot second.

So this kid, in the tux:


I remember when he was this kid's size: 



He's 14 years younger than me.  When he started kindergarten....I was in college.

I remember feeding this kid (in the tux)
 pureed sweet potatoes and watching him turn orange.  I also remember him telling me stories about how he'd be a fireman and preacher when he grew up.  I remember him sucking at baseball and picking up a guitar for the first time.


I cannot believe I am 31 and he is 17. 

I cannot believe that in three blinks my babies will be going to the prom.

Life is a fleeting moment. 

----------------------------------------------------------


Alrighty moving on.....
 
My hubby and I decided to make a minimal change to the livingroom on Saturday.  We uncovered the fireplace that has been covered for the past six years that we have lived here.  It was though the board in front of the fireplace was due to the chimney not being sealed off.  We were wrong!
 



We have tons of ideas for this space.  Unfortunately, they arent baby friendly so we'll be waiting a little while on those ideas!  The good news?  Santa can now use the chimney in December!
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
I have found it is not a spring weekend unless my husband hurts himself some way.  Poor guy.  I was on my child-free excursion and got a call - a very bad cell phone connected call.  All I heard was - "The kids are with your mom"
 
Most women may freak out at that point.  Not because they fear their mother's care of their children but because it means something terrible has happened like tornado, broken leg, or the cops came (hey all types read this blog, don't judge there Jesus Jones).  For me....I just kept on looking at swatches.  My husband is clumsy.  He's a goofy foot.  Bless his heart, I love him.  Turns out he fileted a finger open (a la flounder) and he had to get some stitches.
 
This is his second - nearly-cut-off-a-digit event in four years.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
It is Earth Day.  In case you need some easy peesy ways to feel like you did something to honor your habitat here are a few:
 
1.  Plant a pot of petunias.  Petunias need very little care.  A bit of water every other day and they will be happy and they will multiply like the woman down the street.
 
2.  Recycle.  It should be a free service where you live.
 
3.  Actually use those reusable bags.  If you use plastic, actually take that big huge pile to the grocery store and throw them in the "recycle plastic bags here" bin.
 
4.  Plant a garden.
 
5.  Sit outside on the grass, in the sun, smell the smells, feel the air, feel the sun.
 
6.  Stop buying bottled water and buy a filter instead.
 
7.  Monitor your electricity use.  Cut off lights and use the sunlight to bring in some brightness.  Be aware of when the dishwasher, washing machine, and dryer are in use.
 
8.  Watch Disney Science's Wings of Life with your kids to learn the importance of the bee, butterfly, and flower.  It is short, sweet, and to the point.
 
9.  Wash your car at a facility that uses recycled water.
 
10.  Buy organic - pesticides are bad for you, me, and the Earth.
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Have a great Monday!  See ya tomorrow with a recipe and some other stuff.
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Be good to your earth. 
 
 
Brownie
 
Sharing is caring share this blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!