Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I have a big fat sweet tooth and it isn't loose.

4.17.13 Kindergarten Screening Day

So I normally do a better job of "proofing" the blog before publishing. Ok I do a quick skim-over most days due to the circumstances of my job.   I must apologize for yesterday.  I didn't proof it.  I hastily hit publish and ran out the door.  Around noon yesterday I went back and edited and republished.

They are now reporting the bombing in Boston was through the usage of pressure cookers.  I knew I had a fear of those bastards for a good reason.  There is a major problem when you put a pot on the stove, cover it, and it starts hissing and shaking.  I had a boyfriend in college who used one a lot and every time he did his roommate and I took cover   --- as in two rooms away or outdoors.

My child has her first loose tooth.  How did we find this out?  Early soccer practice arrival.  We were sitting in the car and she smiled and I said, "Lets check those teeth."  Sure enough the front bottom had a winner.  She was so thrilled she had to call her nana, aunt, and dad.  Due to her lisp it had to be repeated several time - I have a loose tooth translated to I have new shoes (my favorite).

One kid getting teefers and one kid losing teefers and mama's DDS appointment next Thursday.  It is all about teeth in Brownie Land.

---------------------------------------

Happy Wednesday! 

I spent some more time on Pinterest.  There is a bogus pin - shocker - for healthy peanut butter swirl brownies.  I have it under my To Do April board - if you see it do not pin it it is junk.

Yesterday I had an attack of sugar.  I wanted something chocolate.  I wanted something sweet.  I wanted something that had absolutely NO nutritional value.

I settled for an orange, cottage cheese, and four strawberries.  It was good but it was not what I was looking for.

So I took to Pinterest to find something....

Here are some ideas that you may want to Pin if you are with me on the whole got to get healthier kick!

I tried to find some things that aren't insanely hard to create and you may have to spend $0-$8 extra on your grocery bill.

1.  Banana Pops - REAL Banana Pops! - the only thing you'll be looking to buy here is probably your topping and cacao of your choice.  I may try these for a future blog post using sugar free pudding.  I will keep you posted.  Below I'm going to tell you to try to steer clear of bananas but this looked so yummy.  So if you make it choose small bananas not those massive ones your husband's wish they were packing in their britches. (sorry had to)

2.  It's Human Nature to Snack Cheat Sheet - a great tool to help when you are clipping coupons and going to go shopping.  You need to buy some good snack options!  This can help.

3.  Duh - Angel Food Cake Cupcakes with topping!  - this comes from a fantastic site I love Skinny Mom.  We all know the great offering of the Angel Food Cake - it is totally friendly to those of us trying to count calories but also devour a cupcake!  (i use angel food constantly when creating desserts these days....i'll make these soon for you all to come over and enjoy....just kidding most of you live too far away)

4.  This should be sinful but according to Weight Watchers its saintly! WooHoo! - Butterfinger...need I say more?  I am Snickers girl but I will lay a finger on your Butterfinger man.

------------------------------------------

A few tips when you're going to feed your sugar crave.

1.  Steer clear of Splenda. If you cannot do traditional sugar or you want an alternative look at agave syrup or stevia.  I'm not saying Splenda is the devil but I'm not sure that man made substance is the best alternative for you.  I once worked with a doctor who said he wouldn't give a cat splenda and he hated cats.  He also treated diabetics.

2.  Fruit is always a good choice.  However, when you go to grab some fruit don't let it be a banana! (Warned you above about this one)  When we worked with diabetics we always told them to grab anything but a banana or grapes - too much sugar!  Try to go for blueberries, blackberries, apples, peaches, pears, pineapple, etc.  If you must do a banana (its ok I love them too) buy the small ones - no more than 4-5 inches.  Those huge ones are just added cals you do not need.

3.  Spend calories on food not drinks.  It is hard for me too.  I adore Coke.  Seriously, I want it like a crack head wants $20.  But I limit it BIG TIME!  I'd rather my cals go towards yummy food than a drink.  Another addiction of mine is Simply Lemonade with Raspberry.  However, its simply not good for you - don't let the packaging fool you.  How do I drink it? 3 shots (literally I use a shot glass) in the bottom to 8oz of water.  Still has the strong taste of the straight from the bottle juice but is way healthier!

4.  That being said, watch the alcoholWine sucks when it comes to calories.  I haven't had wine in a couple months and instead have a Miller 64 - 64 calories and good flavor.  I did splurge on some rum at the beach (that being said I also splurged on some Coke with that rum, that being said I also splurged on some Bacardi Pina Colada mix with the rum as well, that being said I pushed a stroller at max speed for four miles yesterday).  And finally, it is true what they say- alcohol is nothing but straight sugar.

5.  Stop thinking: if I go run (or whatever you do) I can eat whatever I want. No, you can't.  That whole idea if you run three miles a day you can still have seventeen pieces of pizza is a big bogus lie.  If you want to be healthy then you have to be full circle healthy.  An hour on the elipitical didn't free up 300 calories so you can go to Mickey Bojangles and get a tray of fried mess.  Also, just because you ran six miles this morning doesn't mean that tonight you can kill that bottle of Canadian Whiskey at your sister's babyshower.  (Ahhhh if you could drink at a babyshower....I guess the mom to be would be a little pissed...)  Your body will be in high gear calorie burning mode for about 30-45 minutes post workout - after that its going to slow on down.  I hear so many people where I work out say this:  "Well last night I made a pig pickin' cake and then we went over to Gertrude's because her brother died and ate ham biscuits with them.  I been coming here ever day and walking three miles on the track and doing those weight machines but ain't nothing coming off."  I want to scream are you shitting me Sandra Dee?  Your walking and doing the weight machine - kudos!  But that pig pickin' cake and those ham biscuits just cancelled out your work out.  It is common sense but common isn't so common anymore.  Ibet she washed it all down with sweet tea or Pepsi......good golly Ms. Molly.


---------------------------------------------------
So I did something cool (well I think it is cool) for you all.  I not only posted links to the pins above BUT I also created a Pinterest Board to go with today's blog post.  I have so many readers who share with me things they find on Pinterest so I thought why not make a board to go with today's entry. 

If any of the recipes/tips via Pinterest interested you, you can go Pin them off my board.

Link up to my Pinterest Board that coincides with today's post to "Pin" what you would like to try!

--------------------------------------------------

Be good to yourself -


Brownie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!