Thursday, April 11, 2013

Demented Thursday

4.11.13

I must say today started rocky but has turned out pretty good - and that includes this edition of Demented Thursday.

For the fourth time (second time this week) or was today the fifth time....anyhoo for the unacceptable number of time this was, my washer died.  It worked like a charm except it refused to spin - ever - as in no spinning.  So my clothes, towels, sheets, etc would be saturated at the end of the wash.  I can see an issue one or two times but four or five...no.

Luckily, the local, small town, mom and pop dealer sent a new one to me today at 12:30.  I am happy.  I feel confident this new one will be just fine.

I'd rather by from local small dealer than a box store any day and now you know why.

---------------------------------------------------

So are you ready for this edition of Fun with Grandma?

Good news:  When I called to remind her I would be picking her up within the hour my uncle answered the phone. He said, "She informed me that you were picking her up."

Last week she couldn't remember.

The week before she cancelled her appointment because she didn't remember.

This week she knew!

At 9:40 I went over to pick her up and went in her house.  She was in the regular tizzy.  She went all out on her makeup and it looked good.  She had on an outfit that was quite fashionable for a 80's something woman.  I was totally impressed!  Especially considering I had on running shorts, an old tshirt and my sneakers. 

As we were walking out I asked if she had her keys, "Yep!" she said.

I locked the door.  I turn and see her fumbling through her purse.  No keys.

One would think I would have a set for her house....one would think.  No, I do not.  I just don't.  That's her kids deal and I don't want a key unless they are not around to take care of her.

Also....she keeps her house locked up like Ft. Knox.  I'm not kidding.  To get into her actual home you go through three locked doors.  They're probably also fireproof and secretly require biomarker readers for the lock to turn.  This is part of dementia...paranoia.  To be honest, if someone wanted to get in to steal her pile of underware turned dust cloths they would wear themselves out trying to get through the doors.

A call to my aunt saved the day and off we went.

Today my grandmother was happy.  She noticed all the blooming pear, dogwood, forsythia (or yellow bells), tulips, late blooming buttercups, etc.  Her comments were all in line with "normal" and it made for a good change for our weekly drive.

I dropped her off at the door of her beautician's.  Then I pulled out the stroller and the baby and I took to our 3.5 mile stroll at a vigorous leisurely pace.

Lunch today was Wendy's.  I love Wendy's.  It was a good choice made by me.  My grandma doesn't remember any restaurants so when I mentioned Wendy's I had to go over their menu and good options with her.  She was miffed that I ordered chicken nuggets and a salad - "That's not enough food."  She ordered a chicken sandwich and salad - "That's too much food."

The fun demented moment of today came at the expense of our food.  My five year old even chimed in on this one.

Wendy's places their burgers in these paper boxes.  The burger or chicken sandwich in this case sits in it so it basically looks appeasing to the eye.  This box became the centerpiece of my grandmother's passion.

"I'm keeping this box.  Unless you want to keep it."

Do not laugh...do not laugh.

"You're what?"

"Keeping this box.  Look at it.  It is made so well and I could put things in it."

"We don't keep these.  Its paper and it has had food in it.  We will throw it away."

"No.  I will keep it.  Look at how well it is made.  It can hold treasures."

Who is talking my 80 something year old grandma or my five year old?

"No.  We don't keep these things.  You have plenty of boxes and baskets we'll go through those if you need a small one."

Then the five year old chimed in....."You can't keep that mom-o that's trash.  If you take trash in your house you'll have mice!"

My grandma said, "Well."

Score daughter!!!!!  Good job!

When we got back to her house she repeated over and over what a wonderful time she had had.  She never does that.  One for mom-o zero for dementia.

------------------------------------------------

The cleaning race is on.  I've spent way more time outside than inside this week.  Here goes it.

-----------------------------------------------

Be good to each other!  #EndAlz


Brownie


Sharing is caring!  Share this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!