Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Oldhouseprophen Please

4.9.13

Let me start off with one helluva good recipe.  This is a Weight Watcher's Recipe that I actually tweaked by mishap.  You can use jalapenos but they are omitted from mine because my husband and child would not have opened their palate to anything spicier than the taco packet.  To me this is reminiscent of a Mexican lasagna.  Its layered and delicious and sits up beautifully on the plate.

They call it - Mexican Casserole

You will need:

8 small corn tortillas (if you are allergic to corn then use wheat and if you are allergic to wheat I bet you have a nice tummy)

2-3 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into chunks or strips or shredded (however you prefer)

1 small can of corn

1 can of diced tomaotes (I used petite diced)

1 can of black beans

1 packet of taco seasoning (I used McCormick)

1 onion chopped

1 small container of fat free sour cream

1 bag of Mexican style shredded cheese (go low fat if you can find some)

On the stove top place the chicken and chopped onion in a large sautee pan.  Cook for about 12-14 minutes - until the chicken is cooked through.




Next throw in your corn, tomatoes, black beans and your taco seasoning packet.  Stir well, cover and simmer five minutes.



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a 9x13 baking dish - spray with PAM and take your tortillas and cut them in half so that you have 16.  Take 8 of those bad boys and line the bottom of the dish - they can overlap it is encouraged.

Spoon out your chicken mixture - only half of it - on top of the tortillas.

Spoon your entire sour cream container and spread evenly on top of mixture.

Layer your remaining tortillas on top of the sour cream layer. 

Spoon the rest of your chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.

Cover with cheese.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

You can thank me later.

***The WW recipe calls for ground beef in place of chicken but I thawed out chicken so the change was made****

We all LOVED it!

Want a drink with it- duh margarita! Or
Dos Equis.

--------------------------------------------

Something I don't love is major repairs to a home.  The reason?  I hate spending money.

An issue with living in an old house, that has only had aesthetic updates over the years, is that it is a money pit to make it safe and happy again.  The current issue is our foundation/basement.  I just entertained a gentleman (who I find out after the visit is the president of the company) with my very limited knowledge of construction circa 1930. 

He taught me a lot about how homes were built back in the day.  I also see how modern construction has made HUGE advancements.  Now I want to drink a Jack n Coke and hope and pray I will one day buy a winning lotto ticket so I can buy a house I am totally in love with.  I am falling out of love more and more with this one.  I keep thinking one day I'll desert this place and move to the coast and live in a cottage and work a job a la Nicholas Sparks novels and every night my husband and I will take long walks along the shoreline....wake up and nope here we are in the present!

He'll have my quote in a week.

--------

It is another blessed day in NC with blue skies, sunshine and temps of 80+ degrees.  All I can think about is water....water....water.
Reading to her little brother about birds while mommy saves the environment by line drying some linens.

The bichens are enjoying this weather with good production.  $2.50 per dozen inquire by commenting or sending a message.

 


----------------------------------

Be good to each other and devil up some eggs -


Brownie

Sharing is caring!  Share this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!