Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Tasty Tuesday: Calor-not-for-me's

Last week my TT entry introduced a fun little lesson on nutrition/food labels.  I hope you had a chance to check it out but if you did not then click here.  It is a really quick read.

This week I want to share something with you...

This is especially for those of you who are trying to eat healthier, lose weight, firm up, etc.

Alright here it goes:  I do not count calories.


via GIPHY

Oh my sweet Jesus?!?!  

No, calm yourselves it really isn't that crazy or unconventional.  Keep reading!

Calories mainly come from three sources:  fats, carbohydrates, and protein.  The other stuff on the label really doesn't give you calories (except for sugar).

Of the three heavy hitters fat holds the calorie title at 9 calories per gram.  Carbs and protein each offer 4 calories per gram.

Since I pull my energy from protein and fat I focus on keeping my carb intake at less than 30 grams a day and normally keep it at less than 20 each day.


via GIPHY

Are you wondering how this works?  A bit perplexed?  That's normal.

Of the three calorie sources the ones that are most readily available are carbohydrates.  They are in pretty much every inch of "easy" food (prepared food, fast food, snack food) and in nearly every single beverage with the exception of coffee, tea, and water.

Since I eliminated carb/sugar consumption at a rate of about 95% I realized my caloric intake is has dropped immensely!

One of the coolest things about cutting carbs is that you pull more fats (healthy) and proteins which satiate you much better than a simple carbohydrate/sugar.  Prior to this lifestyle change I would have a bagel with reduced fat cream cheese in the morning and maybe a scrambled egg.  By 10 in the morning I would be ravenous for a snack.  Now, I have eliminated the carb and am enjoying a breakfast of two eggs, two turkey sausage links, and half an avocado with some tomato.  I don't start feeling the need to refuel until lunch on most days.  Being satiated is a key to being a healthier you.


This taco cobb salad is the perfect low carb lunch or dinner. The only thing that makes it better is the homemade ranch dressing!:
Let me recommend this salad! So good!

What is lunch?  My go to is a salad.  I liked boiled egg or chopped sandwich meat added to it.  There are always sweet peppers, onion, cucumber, and tomatoes in the kitchen so I have a big, yummy, colorful salad.  Please do not hold the cheese!  A healthy sprinkle of freshly shredded colby jack blend makes me a happy camper.

trimhealthymamacookbook-3d
Click here for the info on their books!

Dinner is a large fare here.  I utilize my THM cookbook all the time for dinners my whole family loves.  The meatloaf, drummets recipes, and chicken thigh recipes have all been HUGE hits around here.

Snacking isn't something I have given up.  When I'm working and I am burning calories at a faster rate I keep a bag of reduced sodium mixed nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, Brazil nuts, and some peanuts) in my bag.  A handful keeps me going.

The secret of success in this lifestyle is that I am aware of the difference between good fat and bad fat.  Fat isn't the death of you if you keep the good guys on your plate in small numbers and the bad guys away.  Heart healthy fats are the omegas and the polyunsaturated fats (hello avocado, fatty fish, olive oil, and nuts!)  Steer clear of the saturated fats that can build up on your arteries and lead to bad news from a cardiologist.

Fat issues -

An issue I am having is balancing my coconut oil usage with my olive oil usage.  You should know that EVOO is the supreme oil and coconut oil has a few pros but many cons if you have a family with heart disease history.  I love both oils but I find that I sometimes go overboard with my coconut oil usage.

When I make a chicken thigh recipe I cook it in the skin but remove the skin before I partake.  A lot of people eat the skin for the available nutrition in it (yes there is some) but I just cannot bring myself to do it.  Twenty years of skinless chicken will do that!

There was literally no way we were going to give up cheeseburgers.  Get the recipe from Food I Make My Soldier.   - Delish.com:

Red meat is a love of mine.  I couldn't go vegetarian because steak is something I do enjoy once or twice a month.  Hamburgers are still a favorite food (though they are minus the buns now!).  I still strive to purchase leaner cuts and fat levels in each one respectively.  Yes, I sub ground turkey here and there but I adore a good cow burger!

Morning Star and Boca offer fabulous veggie burgers.  These are great go-to's for lunch and dinner.  Your kids won't even notice they are eating something good for them.

So there's my admission for today - I don't count calories. I eat healthy fat.  I'm still sugar free! Bash me or love me or try it yourself!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!