Thursday, May 5, 2016

My Mother's Day Gift To You

Hey mamas - Happy upcoming Mother's Day!

Today I am just setting my blog on Mother's Day Spin.  So here ya go...enjoy this bouquet of flowers I bought you.


I know you may not be the flower type but c'mon - we all are deep down.  Flowers are very simple but also an extravagant showing of affection.  Think about flowers for a moment.  Remember when your baby picked you a yellow dandelion weed flower - so happy to place it in your hand?  They were so proud that the flower was for mommy and they gave it to you.  

For many it is the first form of gifting or thinking of others.  That is huge in development and you were the lucky recipient.

My son picks me "weeds" and is excited to give them to me.  It melts my heart.

One day, if I'm lucky, those weeds will stay put and he may surprise me with a bouquet of flowers bought from Harris Teeter or the florist.  I'll swoon - but only because I'll remember those little chubby hands giving me the prettiest flowers from the yard.

So enjoy those flowers.



Now take a seat and have a glass of wine, coffee, sweet tea, lemonade - whatever tickles your fancy.  Just sit in that chair and breathe; take in the calmness you see and hear.  The bright green grass, blue sky, fullness of spring - it is all around you.

And remember.

Remember those moments you would have done anything for this moment right here?

The ones where you thought - now I will sit.  But you hear your daughter yell down the stairs for the seventeenth time -

"Mama!!! Come here!"

or 

"GET HIM OUT OF MY ROOM!"

And you sigh and close your eyes and go back up the stairs - you had great legs then.  You play referee and have another one following you back down the stairs - maybe sobbing - that you will need to entertain.

Or maybe it is that time of night and you are so tired you could just fall on to sleep without a shower or another thought.  Then you hear her feet padding into the room.

She can't sleep.

So you go up to her room and read her a story or talk about the day then the future.

Until she falls asleep and your fourth wind pushes back through.  May as well do those dishes now, you think and follow through with.

One day I hope she still comes to me when she can't sleep or something is bugging her to death.  I know the problems get bigger as they grow taller but won't we always look back on those nights where we just talked without end, in the dark, until we were the only ones still awake?


Relax in this moment and relish the ups and downs of the hardest job in the world.  Be thankful for the wonderful days but also the nights you spent in tears and worry.  You have been gifted the title mommy and you have done your very best - and will continue to until your last breath.

I understand.

Happy Mother's Day.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!