Friday, May 8, 2015

The Women Who Made Me


I wanted to do something different in lieu of this weekend being the one weekend that is all about yo mama.  Enjoy.


1.  Words

I can remember time and time again my mom saying,
"If everyone was jumping off a bridge would you do it to?"
Ok, it was close to that.

I always rolled my eyes but guess what....I say it now too.

My Mom-o (the topic of my Alzheimer's posts) used to say,
"I'm about to paint your back porch red."
If you don't know what that means its code for a spanking on the way.

She never did.
Ok one time.
I have said it myself.





2.  Mannerisms

My mom sticks her face out and nods when you talk to her.
I may be guilty of this.
I am guilty of this.

My Mom-o was the Southern Belle type.  Prim and proper.
I admire that.
Sometimes I channel the straight back, hands in lap and head tilt.

My Mammaw used to prop against the counter and cross her arms and just watch.
I do that too.

She also sucked her teeth after a meal.
I do not.



3.  Affection

My mom is touchy feely.
I am at times but not near as much as she was/is.
I regret this.
Sometimes you need a hug, why fight it?

My Mom-o wasn't touchy feely but she did my hair every morning for 7 years.
I consider that her way of showing affection.
It was also her trade for nearly 50 years.
Love what you do.

My Mammaw would pop us popcorn and fix us cheap soda (RC Cola anyone) and we would watch tv on her couch at 9:00 at night.
She liked to be close.  I could handle that.
When it came time to tuck me in she'd kiss my cheek and tell me to not let the Boogie Man get me.
I do this....minus the boogie man.
And sometimes I have popcorn sans the soda with my kids.



4.  Hobbies

My mom read a lot when I was growing up.
I hated reading.
Her reading was mostly for school but sometimes made up of escape reads.
Today I am an avid reader.

My Mom-o loved to paint and tend to her flowers.
She was excellent at painting and loved to do it.
I never thought I was much of an artist.
Then one day I sat down with a canvas and some paint and surprised myself at what I can do if I drop the barrier of thinking I cannot.
I have her love for paint.
I also took that whole love for plants thing too.

My Mammaw was an extraordinary southern style cook and loved to be in the dirt (flowers, garden).
I think you know where this is going.
Obviously cooking is a passion and playing in the dirt is even more of a love.
She rubbed off on me.



5.  Who I am

I am a mom to two children.  My mom had two.  My Mom-o has three.  My Mammaw has four.  (Should I put had?  She's passed.)
All three love/loved their children without fail.  When they did right, when they did wrong, when they were stuck in the purgatory of life.  All three pray/prayed for their children every day.  They are/were always there....no matter what.
I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes and laughing at them growing up.
But I spent even more time learning just how to be a good mom to my children by having them in my life.

I love my mom.
I love my Mom-o.
I miss my Mammaw every.single.day.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms who made us who we are.








Image result for momfessionals




10 comments:

  1. Hey! Stopped by to give you my email about homeschool, but noticed that you have a Mom-o, too! My Momo just passed away after a long battle with dimensia, and was also the total southern belle. Such a small world, I have never heard of another Momo :) Anyway, if you send me an email via the contact bar on the side of my blog, I can talk homeschool for DAYS! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email sent! Yes, we called her mom and then my brother changed it to mom-o and it stuck. She also has alzheimer's dementia. Happy Mother's Day! xo Amanda

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I hope your day is wonderful. xo Amanda

      Delete
  3. Awwww love this post! So sweet :-) what a great mother's day tribute. Happy mothers day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your day is very relaxing and special! xo Amanda

      Delete
  4. Nice post. Hope you have a happy mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet and special post! Made me smile! Have a wonderful Mother's day lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberly! I hope your Mother's Day is awesome! xo Amanda

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!