Monday, May 11, 2015

Pop Up Camping an Intro



Camping season is in full force!  Woo hoo!  Who is excited?  THIS GIRL!

We have already had our first camping trip of the season and now we're planning more.  You can read about our trip to Jellystone Marion by clicking here.

On to today's post: I am devoting some time to posts on camping in general.

My little fam camps out of a pop up camper.

If you're totally unfamiliar with the term "pop up camper" let me show you what I am talking about!



This is a pop up camper.  Oh and it happens to be mine (and that guy happens to be mine too).

A pop up camper isn't as nice as a camper trailer or fifth wheel or motor home or an RV.

Its the basics of a camper crossed with a tent.  We'll call it a mutt.

Pop up campers offer:

1.  Electricity
2.  Water
3.  A bit sturdier shelter than a traditional tent

Some pop ups have little bathrooms in them.  Ours does not.


Most pop ups consist of two beds and a common area.

We have two kids so they share the smaller bed.  It is roughly a size between a standard bed and queen.  The opposite end is the adult bed.  It is slightly larger than a queen bed.

Are the mattresses comfy?  No.  But you can get mattress toppers that make a world of difference.



Here's a bad shot of the kid's bunk last camping season.  That blue cushion you see a the bottom is actually part of a bench seat that doubles for storage.



The center area is the common area of the pop up.  It has a storage cabinet, another seat, and the kitchen area (a sink and a cooler box).  I totally owe you a better picture but ummm you'll have to wait.

Let me just be honest with you.  The point in a pop up is not hanging out in it but seeking shelter in it during bad weather and to sleep!

I love the idea of sleeping in nature but lets be honest I don't want to be on dirt and I want some protection from the rainy times.  So I'm not 100% granola but I'm like a good 40%.

The most awesome part of the camper?

The outside!

Being able to pull out the awning or pop up a canopy and hang out is truly the most awesome part of camping.  Getting to know your neighbors over some beers and a campfire is so much fun.  This is why we camp, ya'll.



Even the tiniest of our crew enjoys time outside....just chillin'!

Well this wraps up the intro to the pop up camper!  Next time we'll talk more about some other fun camping things like ummm....the Dollar Store!  (Yes, I heard you say, "whaaaaat?")

See ya soon-


4 comments:

  1. Many moons ago, when I was still at university, I spent a couple of summers working up in the Central highlands on a property. We slept in what was basically a caravan with a tarpaulin porch - many long and happy evenings were spent grilling meat over an open fire and working on a cask of red wine. Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember as a kid when we upgraded to the pop up from the 4 man tent...it was heavenly! I haven't been camping in ages but this makes me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love camping! Your mutt looks a lot more comfy than our tent. I told my husband last time that we need separate air mattresses. (he sinks, I float :-P) Nothing can beat a camp fire and a night sky full of stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit more comfortable than a tent, for sure! I totally get that separate mattresses thing, go girl get you one! xo Amanda

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!