Monday, May 18, 2015

Around The Home




Our house was originally constructed in the late 1930's.  If we compare and contrast the 1930's to the 2000's we see some slight differences in architecture and what was necessary and what was not when a house was being built.

It is no surprise that houses built prior to the 1950's didn't really consider closet space necessary.

Less was truly more back then!  We can debate all day on why that was but I have a feeling the economic strife of the early 1900's had a little something to do with it.  And probably the fact that shopping wasn't quite the norm like it is today!

Our home originally had six incredibly tiny closets; which served as storage areas for things like linens, coats, and items that had to be hung up (think dresses).

After the events of last fall and deciding to create a master bedroom we decided it would be necessary to create a new closet for the spouse and I.

In our hallway what was once an entry way to the original bath and lower level bedroom was morphed into a walk in closet.  We closed that entry way by extending the wall.  We added in a closet system (made by Rubbermaid and available at Lowes Home Improvement and other mass retailers).  The original closet that was in this area was kept for clothing and accessories.



I spent $10 at my local Dollar Tree store and bought cube organizing boxes.  In these I placed t-shirts, shorts, jeans, and work out clothes.



On hand I had a Thirty-One tote that serves as a bin for my husband's work clothing.  I also had a Sterilite storage bin that was missing a lid.  I repurposed it to hold overstock from my bathroom.



Viola!  I organized my "new" closet for roughly $80 total (including the closet system).

So if you reside in an older home I hope this post helped you gain some ideas on how to make more room for storage.  I'll be doing a few more of these based around inexpensive ways to eliminate clutter and get organized over the next few months!

Thanks for coming by and share your organizing tips and tricks in the comments!





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing at Waiting on...Wednesday!

    Holly @ www.iwillservewhileiwait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Love Dollar Tree, great tips!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!