Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chapters

2.27.13 Today was so beautiful.

Today was Girl's Day.  I asked my blonde baby doll what she wanted to do and all she said was -

"Go to the mall"

Five...the new fifteen.

We didn't go to the mall.  We went to Toys R Us.  I have decided we could easily spend an entire day in that store and my child would agree with me and fall in love with her mommy all over again. 

She wanted to look at every single square inch of that toy haven and that includes the Babies R Us section that is nestled in with the traditional store.  I was taken aback when she said she needed to look for things for Harper.  No, she wasn't on the Barbe aisle....she was making her way to the infant toys.

Here's the clincher of today's time in Toys R Us - I had a good time. Seriously, I did.  No, I did not have a labotomy.  I was in awe. It is amazing how toys have evolved - and not - since I was five.

My little blondie gives me a lot of cramps in the pit of my stomach but today she gave me a lot of growing pains.  The kind that pull at your heart a little as you look at her and see the baby has left and the big girl is in. Sure she still has that cute lisp and innocense is still totally intact (and will remain that way until she is fifty-five) but the baby girl is now a little girl with fun opinions and the type of seriousness that you wish more adults had. 

Today I realized just how quickly this chapter of our lives has opened and closed.  It seems her time being her brother's age was just a couple weeks ago and then at other times I feel like it was eons ago. As I watched her eat her salad at lunch I thought about when she was a baby girl eating her jarred veggies.  As I watched her look at the baby toys I remembered when they had first enamored her heart.  I also realized that the critical first five years of life were quickily moving away from me and soon she would be starting the school aged years.  The growing pains were spiked as they penetrated my heart.

All too soon she'll be wanting to keep up with other girls.  She will be wanting to watch those tv shows.  She'll care who some teeny bopper pop star is.  I'll get a little more dumb as the months pass.  She will start the trek all girls take to get farther from their moms.  All too soon she'll be a big girl.

Right now I'll just enjoy the little hand in mine as we walk through her favorite stores.  I will also enjoy those little cards she makes and hides beside the coffee pot that say Mom on one side and I love you on the other.  I will also relish the request she gives at bed time to kiss all over her face.  Her giggles will be my music that I just pray to God I can channel when she is a big girl. 

*******************************

Until we meet again -


Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!