Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thankful Thursday



This week I had my first meeting at the new job.  It was not at all what this girl expected.

Like seriously.

I'm used to meetings and them being a packet and a lot of talk about changes or new programs to be implemented or blah or bleh or bluh.

How about in the first five minutes of this meeting I was given a Thank You card from a teacher who really doesn't even know me and had to watch this video about a guy who had to decide whether to pull the plug on his mom after a heart attack or let her live on a vent.

What.the.hell? 

Did I just get zapped into a different job field and a different meeting?

Ok the video ends up with the guy talking about how (before the plug was pulled) he just let it all out to his mom and thanked her for everything she had done for him and taught him and so on and so forth.

Then he said it:

I had never told her before.

---

Today I am thankful for final chances.  A final chance to tell someone how you feel before the moment shifts and forever is changed.

I didn't get the chance to say goodbye to the one person who has left this world that meant everything to me.  What I wouldn't give for two minutes.


Every time we are preparing to say goodbye to someone - whether it be in the morning as we are off to work or school or when we're by a hospital bed we are being given a chance to say something that we may never get a chance to say again.  We are sharing a moment that will never be repeated.  We are given an opportunity to make a lasting, small impact.


The deal is this:  we don't know that we'll ever make it home that day.  We don't know that we'll get that discharge from the hospital.  We may not make that landing back on native soil.  We may not make that right turn again.

Final chances are huge and they are often times unknown in the moment.  Take each day as your final chance and take nothing for granted.

That's all.






1 comment:

  1. So touching and a great reminder. Sometimes we take life for granted and we never know what day will be our last.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!