Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: The Deen Brothers

Okay let's get one thing straight - I'm not a big Paula Deen fan.  I mean if you make me some of her recipes I'll eat 'em but I'm not going to make them.  Love her or hate her the stuff tastes good but its so heavy and loaded with fat and calories that I just would rather leave it to the older ladies to whip up.

Her sons....well that's another story.

First off they are pretty delicious to look at.

Second off they can cook up some good stuff.

Recently, I checked out their book The Deen Bros Take It Easy.  Let me tell you this cook book is filled with some GOOD FOOD!



I wanted to high light some of their recipes that I loved (just like I did with Hungry Girl).

Today's feature:

Braised Chicken with Peppers & Mushrooms

The best part of this recipe is it is for the CROCK POT!!!!  Yep, not kidding.  It is good, so good, and you can let it cook while you get other stuff done.

Since I get off work a little early I had time to prep it and then let it cook while the babies and I played outside.

Ok here's what you need:

3 TBSP Olive Oil
2 1/2 LBS of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
One 4 OZ can of sliced mushrooms, drained
1 TSP dried oregano
Pinch of crushed red pepper
One 14 1/2 OZ can of whole peeled tomatoes, drained
1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 TSP of salt
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 TBSP chopped fresh basil for garnish (optional)

1.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown, turning occasionally for 7-10 minutes.  Stir in the mushrooms, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.  Stir in the tomatoes and break them up with a fork.  Add the lemon juice and salt and simmer for 2 minutes.

2.  In a bowl, combine the garlic, onions, and bell peppers.  Place half the mixture in the bottom of the crock pot.  Cover with half the chicken and sauce (from the pan), then layer the remaining bell pepper mixture and top with remaining chicken and sauce.

3.  Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4 hours.  Garnish with basil and serve hot.

YUMMY!

This will be made again and again in our house.  Thanks to the Deen Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!