Thursday, April 3, 2014

Eating like a rabbit

Photo: Though there be snow, rain, and cold....it is spring in my kitchen!
Dinner - one of my many food shots from my IG account...I love to picture up my food.


If I had my druthers I'd eat like a rabbit.  I love some fresh greens and veggies any time of year.  However, knowing how fresh they are in the spring and summer makes me want them so much more.

People are constantly complaining about the cost of eating healthy and I'm left wondering what they think healthy is.

Eating like a bunny isn't expensive and isn't hurtful.  It's actually inexpensive and great for you if you'll take the time to stop trying to get in on the hype of complaining.

Here are some tips to making a great bowl of bunny food for...cheep <get it>.

1.  Lettuce

If you are an ice berg lettuce person you should be purchasing a head of lettuce instead of a bag that will go bad in a matter of hours once you have shoved it in your fridge.

When you get home with your head of lettuce (which is way cheaper than a bag of it and you get more bang for your buck) you need to take time to prep that lettuce.

We're talking three minutes people.

Wash it with cold water then pull it apart.

Take a paper towel and blot it.  (I always wash once more after I do this...I'm fearful of food borne illness.)

After you have blotted it (for the first or second time) store it in Ziplock style bags or glass bowls with lids in the crisper.

You can go a step further and shred or cut it all so its ready to be used for your salad.

I do not buy iceberg lettuce.  I buy Romain in bunches.  How much is a bunch of romain?  How about $1.79 at my local Food Lion.  I like that price.

I prep it the same way I do iceberg.

2.  Purchase what you want in your salad away from the prepackaged section.

That means if you like carrots in your salad you buy the single carrots (also known as bulk) not the bagged ones.  You'll be getting out much cheaper than buying a one pound bag of carrots that will turn white in your fridge.

Underkill honey not overkill.

Buy a cucumber....79 cents versus a package at $2 is way nicer don't you think?


The same can be said for all veggies you like in your salad.  Just remember that celery can only be bought in bunches....for real...I had a lady ask me in the store if she could buy two stalks.


3.  Roma Tomatoes

These are the best slicers for your salad and they are cheap.  I like to cube up some tomatoes and quite frankly I do not like the price of cherry tomatoes so I buy romas.  

So you can essentially make a huge bowl of fresh salad (that stays fresh longer than the bagged) for about $4.

Happy eating my little bunnies.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!