Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Vacation All I Ever Wanted: Packing Eww!

Hello beauties how is life treating you this lovely day?  I hope well.  Today I am coming at you with a fun post, well I hope fun, regarding prepping for a vacation.  




As you may remember, last month we had a glorious weekend get-a-way to my favorite place - the ocean.  It was so nice to bust the county and state lines and get away to sun and surf.  That trip ended in our kids staying down on the coast for a week and me getting a break!  It was magical friends.  Purely, magical.  I may have seen happy blue birds and castles dancing around me.


For a weekend get away I was able to pack three bags and go.  That was magical too.  Now I'm packing for a week away.  Seriously, I wish I could pack everything we need into three bags but HA!  I'm not tripping on Kool Aid and I know that couldn't happen...with two kids.

Here's your invitation to keep reading and step into a wonderland of extreme packing in A Brownie World.  It could be nothing more than what you already know or I could have a trick up my sleeve.

I always make lists (because it is part of my illness...just freakin' kidding)...

If you read this blog you know I have an issue with not making lists.  Sorry not sorry I'm the girl who makes lists to cross things off of them.  What a feeling of satisfaction!  Just making a big, fat, black line through something you completed.

When it comes to packing for a vacation I make three lists:
  • Clothing & Toiletries - I take into account if we have a washer and dryer when I pack our clothes.  If we have one then you better believe I pack light in the clothing department.  We are on vacation not headed to fashion week.  Basic on the toiletries is also a secret of mine.  I really like an all in one body wash/shampoo/conditioner for the kids.  My husband and I use what we normally use at home.  I don't buy travel sizes since I have a tendency to use up a travel conditioner after two washes!  Other times we cannot forget are razors, a hair dryer, and an ample amount of combs and brushes.  Why?  Because my daughter can lose them in a heartbeat!  This is also the biggest list that I make because I have so much to put in the bag/suitcase.  Since I wear contacts all the junk associated with them has to come too.  I tend to pack a small pharmacy kit of stomach medicine, ibuprofen, and Benadryl.  
  • Housewares - We rent somebody's digs when we vacation.  Since we aren't setting up home in the Holiday Inn we are generally in charge of bringing our own mini version of the home department at Belk.  Three sets of sheets, bath towels, and beach towels.  I grew up with a mom who loved to take her own pillow with her on vacation.  I do not do that.  But my kids...yeah they like their pillows.
  • Cleaning - Being that we rent I have to also make a list that consists of cleaning supplies because I'll clean when we're getting ready to come back home.  If you do a rental that requires cleaning you generally have two options:  Pay the cleaning fee for someone to come in and clean it or clean it yourself and save the fee.  We always choose to just clean it up ourselves.  Yes, I know it is vacation and cleaning isn't something we equate with vacation but if I can save myself $200 I will do it in a heart beat!  

When it comes to packing food...



via GIPHY

I do not pack food or drinks.  Once upon a time I did do that but then I learned my lesson.  Since we're going to be on the coast for a week it is easier and makes more sense for us to do the grocery shopping when we are there.  Instead of doing a trip here the Friday before we leave I just save that money to be used for grocery shopping there instead.



Image result for ibottaThis year to save on the expenses I'm cashing in my Ibotta rewards to use at Walmart for groceries.  How about that?  I just love Ibotta!  Half of our grocery bill will be taken care of just for scanning some bar codes and being rewarded!  If you aren't on the Ibotta train then here's your ticket.  Click the link up there where I first wrote out Ibotta and BAM you're on your way to saving every time you go grocery shopping, clothing shopping, run in a gas station and grab some junk food...yeah you get it.

When you grocery shop make sure you visit a chain store.  Here's the secret:  Chain stores like Walmart, Target, Food Lion generally keep their prices the same across the board.  Meaning a loaf of bread in my home town is $2.50 and when I visit the same store on vacation it should still be around $2.50.  Some grocery chains are known for jacking prices up at destination spots.  Unfortunately, one of my most favorite stores, Harris Teeter does this.  Their prices at destination spots can be up to 20% higher.  Your national store chains do a much better job at keeping prices pretty set across the board.

Road trip...before it was illegal to have 8 kids in the car without seat belts :):
I love this picture so much.  


While we are discussing food I want to let you know that our drive this year is about four to four and a half hours.  That does not translate to me packing snacks.  I think my kids have shown they can survive the first two hours to make it to our pit stop where they can have a quick lunch and then they can do another two hours without needing nourishment.  It really amazes me how my garbage disposal son can totally not be hungry at all when the car is in motion but at home he has to eat every fifteen minutes.

What I leave for the mister to do...

Packed for the beach!:

My husband is in charge of getting the beach stuff together.  All things related to our time spent on the beach is in his corner.  I take care of the towels and sunscreen but he gets together the beach toys, umbrella, cooler, etc. This year we bought a mini version of our Stok Grill.


 If you are looking for a great grill I can only tell you that our Stok has us stoked about grilling (cheesy, love it!)  A couple weeks ago we purchased a new Travel grill from them (available at Target and Home Depot) and it will be a huge life saver for dinners while we're on vacation.

Remember you're in this together and sharing the responsibilities of packing is part of the deal!

Now it is your turn!  Tell me about how you pack for your week away!  I love new tips and ideas.

xoxox-
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!