Monday, July 25, 2016

No it isn't Tuesday. Yes this is a food post.

Do you ever not want to go to the grocery store?  Do you ever not have the money to go to the grocery store?  Do you possibly just hate the grocery store?





Yeah, me too.  Today's post is for those of us who are kind of over the grocery store.

I'm writing this post from a place of plain out laziness.  I'm also writing this post last week not today.  Currently, my fridge looks like we ran out of rations and the war isn't over.  It is kind of bad.  As I was putting this post together I started shaking my head at myself.  Yes, we have food.  I have a freezer with turkey burgers, ground beef, chicken, and fish in it.  You know what the problem is?

Laziness.


via GIPHY

Last week I didn't want to cook at all because I was on my own.  A good ole 'mater sandwich was good enough for me (are you my SnapChat friend?)  But this week...

This week the kids are back.  They require food.  They require lots of food.  Something about growing or whatever.

Today's blog post is how I formulated some meals without going to the grocery store.  We can tie this into saving money, being frugal, supporting laziness, whatever label you want.

When I'm lazy and the kids want food I think like a kid and realize we really only need two things:

  • Peanut Butter
  • Cheese


No you sick, weird, human - we don't eat them together.  Eww gross.  My kids love peanut butter sandwiches and since we only keep natural peanut butter around I'm cool with that.  They also love grilled cheese.  The way I see it is if we have bread then we are golden.  Now you know my go to meals for the kids in the summer (kid food, PB sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches.)  Shame me if you want or cheer for me if you are riding in my boat.

Blah blah blah kids need a good balanced diet.  Well that's where I tell you I can whip up some tacos.


via GIPHY

 Tacos are a necessity in this house.  I keep some ground beef or turkey in the freezer just for tacos.  See, I am kind of prepared!  There is always shredded cheese in the refrigerator because when I buy shredded cheese it is generally buy two get three free and mama gets the five packs!  Since it is summer there are tomatoes to be chopped and lettuce to go on them...my mouth is watering.  I feel like I should also let you know that taco seasoning is like thirty-nine cents and tortillas are dirt cheap too so have at it.  In one meal your kids get grains, protein, veggies, and dairy!  She shoots and she scores - muy bien!

When I purchase chicken I purchase it in large quantities because its so versatile.  I can slide in the crock pot with some seasoning and then shred it up for sandwiches.  Maybe I want to grill it, awesome.  Perhaps, I'll make chicken salad?  Baked chicken anyone?  Yes, I can do all this and it is delicious.


via GIPHY

Fish is mommy and daddy's favorite and the kids tend to run in the other direction at the idea of eating fish that hasn't been fried.  What can I say they are Carolina babies.  They like it fried and served with french fries and fried dough - we call that hush puppies.  Mom and dad like it seared with some lemon and butter.  So when we eat fish they eat grilled cheese.

And then there is my waffle issue.  I buy Eggo Waffles in bulk because my kids swear by them.  These little breakfast lovelies are good beyond the hours of 6 AM and 10 AM.  You can make little shortcakes with them, change up your peanut butter and jelly with them, yeah ok that is as far as I can go.

What if the kids want a snack?  Then they should get jobs and buy their own.


via GIPHY

Snacks are expensive because hello capitalism.  I do keep a monster pack of Go Gurts in the fridge and they can have some Skinny Pop if they want it (but recently my daughter says she cannot do Skinny Pop anymore, well go hungry and then you'll be begging for it.)

I challenge you this week to make meals from what you have.  Save yourself the time, money, and mostly the effort of going to the grocery store.  Be creative.  Enjoy your summer.

xo
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!