Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Yay or Nay: Meet Molly

Valentine's Weekend my daughter was informed she was getting a horse from her "Pappaw" - that's the person known as my dad.


She waited patiently while the fencing was fixed over at her Nana's house so the horse would have a place to safely live.


She waited 5 weeks.  Patiently.  I was impressed!


Molly, a plain-Jane-run-of-the-mill trail riding horse came to live with us on March 16th. 





A generally sweet horse - she has some true nay and yay points about her.


For all you horse dreamers I thought this post would be best for you.  For my horse lovers and enthusiast readers maybe you can shed some light.  For those of you who only see horses in movies in magazines then, hey how are you and please keep reading!


A few things you should know -


I am not a horse person.


Growing up I was around horses.  My dad had two - Shotgun and Lassiter.  When I was eight years old I got my first horse, a pony actually, named Cody.  I rode Cody a handful of times and Cody wasn't fond of being ridden.  Cody threw me off eventually and Cody got a new home down the road.


I love animals and that is pretty clear for most people. 


Did I ever think my kids would have a horses?  No.


I could see us having a few goats, maybe a cow or two, chickens for sure, and plenty of doggies (my heart!) but a horse?  No way.


Ha, funny. 


Growing up changes your perspective.


I remember when I was kid my dad would put me up on his horses and I would ride around with him.  When I was in high school I clearly remember going horseback riding with friends.  And to be honest thinking back on that I never had any fear of riding on a horse.


Now...well..


Let me just tell you when I see my eight year old daughter get on the back of the horse - I go into total fear mode.  My heart starts to speed up, my vision sharpens, my respirations increase, and I'm ready to run or leap from barn to barn to save the day.  Fight or flight to a level of perfection!


Maybe I realize now just how big that animal is (800 pounds roughly) and how one fright can send my baby girl air bound and then to the ground with some force.


Or maybe I realize the force in a kick more than I did at 16 years old.


Or maybe I'm just a straight up mama bear.


Molly has some issues too.


This sweet horse has her own set of problems.  She is head shy and ear shy - mainly ear shy.  Because of this getting a bit and bridal on her is an Olympic event.  I have not even tried because she is so bent against anyone touching head.


If you need to know the importance of a bit then let me put it to you this way:


A bit to a horse is like brakes to a car.
Would you drive a car with no brakes?  No.
The bit aids you in stopping your horse.


I am making it my goal to build trust with her.  I don't prefer my child on her without the horse being bridled with the bit in place (can someone explain that to my dad?)  Personally, I want this time to be spent forming a bond that tells her she's safe and we're good.  Lots of rubs and brushing and treats. 


Over the past weekend I happened to  noticed that she is easily "spooked" and that makes me uneasy.  Sometimes it is just a shadow that gets her and sometimes it is something she hears.  So here I am on my war path to help the horse calm down a little just so my little girl can eventually take her for a ride.


Let's give the girl a break though.  She's only been with us for a week.  She needs to adjust.


This is a true learning experience.


Last night my daughter went out with her Pappaw to care for the horse.  I did not go.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the best of trips.  He put her on Molly and let her ride without him guiding her.


You can imagine what happened next.


She didn't walk but went up to a trot (I imagine) and my daughter fell off.


I didn't handle this news very well but I let some grace come over me.  I forced a smile as my daughter told me about falling off the horse.  I didn't ask many questions and told her falling off was part of learning.


Then she cried.


She did not cry over the fall but over the way her grandfather had spoke to her regarding the fall.  It is something in nearly all my childhood memories.  Bad words, bad choices, bad feelings.


This experience will not get the best of my daughter.


I gave myself some time to simmer down and then I had a conversation with my girl.  We talked about falling off the horse and how it hurt.  Then I told her that just like riding a bike you have to be extra careful.  I was careful in my words to not scare her. 


Then I asked the golden question -


"Since you know falling off is part of it are you still wanting to learn to ride?"


There was no hesitation at all she looked right in my eyes and said, "I want to learn how to ride, mama.  I don't want to stop."
With my mom in the  pasture.




I may not be a horse person but I'm not going to stop my kid from learning. 


My job is to be a positive force in her life at all times.  I was willed her to keep her safe and love her and grow her into a good, valuable piece of society's puzzle. 


She will not ever think she isn't good enough to do something because of someone in her ear telling her things that make her feel second fiddle or two inches tall.


She will grow up empowered and strong and knowing she can do whatever she believes in.


So mama did her research and mama got her baby girl some professional lessons and forms for horse riding camp.


Who would have thought that a horse would make you a stronger mom?






No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!