Monday, March 14, 2016

Cleaning Post: Eat off the floors!

Floors, floors, floors.  Let's just get on our hands and knees and talk about about some floors.

We live in an era of a bajillion floor cleaning options.  Today I share my view on all of them!  OK wait most of them!

First things first

Not all floors were created equal.  Some of you have tile, wood, laminate, carpet, linoleum, concrete, and whatever else there may be.  You have to know the type of flooring you have in order to clean it correctly.

Wood is not laminate and cannot be treated like it.  Please, please remember that!

Tile is durable and can take just about any cleaner.

Carpet, oh man don't get me started.

Bona Flooring Cleaner

Bona Ultimate Hardwood Floor Care System

When I had all heart of pine wood floors this was my go to cleaner.  The Bona system is fabulous and leaves your floor with a beautiful shine when you complete the entire system (dusting, cleaning, shining.)

Be cautious to read the labels - not all Bonas are created equal (oh I hear a middle school joke there.)  Some are safe for laminate while others are not.  Some are created for tile floor use but not wood floor.  Read people!

Bruce Cleaner

Bruce 64 fl oz Hardwood Floor Cleaner

This is my go-to for laminate flooring.  Bruce cleaners leave a nice shine on my floors and get them clean.  This company also makes cleaners for other floors but when it comes to laminate I really like them.

Mop n Glo

Image result for mop n glo

For those of you who still have lineoleum flooring then mop and glo is a good option for keeping it clean. I'm not a huge fan of this for other floors - there are much better option!

Murphy's 

Image result for murphy's floor cleaner

If you have wood floors then Murphy's is a great option.  I can tell you that I am much more impressed with the finish Bona leaves rather than Murphy's. However, Murphy's has stood the test of time and that says a lot.

Vinegar and warm water

The best fall back there is when it comes to cleaners.  Safe for all flooring just remember to dilute it.  Straight vinegar or too much can strip the shine of your floors (tile floors shouldn't worry.)  I have been known to even use it on my laminate flooring - the secret is to get your mop damp and not wet.  Laminate cannot take water!

Swiffer



Do I have a Swiffer?  Yes, I do.  Do I rely on it?  No, I don't.  Swiffer is nice but it is a good tool for in between cleanings.  I am not impressed with the cleaning job of a Swiffer - they just take off a small amount of grime and leave a nice smell.  Do not rely on this friendly beast for your good cleanings!  But when you need to go over the floors quickly (say before company arrives or to get some stuff up when you're too tired to do the whole floor) then go for it!

Carpet

Carpet is a big fat trap for just about anything!  Though it feels great I stay away from it.  A great thing to do twice a year is rent a carpet cleaner or splurge and have a carpet cleaning company come out and get your carpet super duper clean.

There are my cleaning tips for this week.  I hope you have a great week!










No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!