Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Soundtrack of my life

IMG_1496


I don't normally take part in this little link up thing-a-ma-jig but today I thought I would.  (Yes, I'm in a blogging slump.)


While reading Katie's awesome post I thought - man I should compile the songs that made me.


So here goes it...




Early Childhood


Mind you my parents were young when they had me in 1981 so I have a very varied musical history.


I remember jamming out to Billy Ocean's Get Out of my Dreams









I also can remember dancing around my aunt and uncle's garage to this tune with my cousins...









My mom was a huge Reba fan so that is probably where my love for Reba comes from. This Reba song reminds me of my mom.  She had me young (high school) and worked her way through getting a GED, associates degree, bachelor's degree, and master's degree, oh and getting Nation Board Certified.









Of course no one tops my Dolly - she is my end all be all for music.









The songs of my middle childhood are best described as...




Randy Travis - I can still remember Scott W. in elementary school wearing that Carolina Blue RT t-shirt with the state of NC outlined and Travis's face in the center.  Haha we love our homeboys.




New Kids On The Block - We were all crushing over one of the boys - I liked Joe!  I remember having a yard sale to buy tickets to go to their concert.  I was seven years old, I made the money, we went to the concert and as soon as Perfect Gentlemen took the stage I was so sick with a stomach virus we had to leave.  I never got to see NKOTB.




Garth -  Any child of the late 80's and early 90's is a Garth child.  Whether you smile when you hear:


Blame it all on my roots/I showed up in boots/And ruined your black tie affair


Or belting out Shameless and sliding across the basement floor on your knees, Garth was a defining musician for a special time in my life.




LL Cool J is another one I remember - probably my entry way to listening to rap music.  But it was this song that I remember most...









I was in youth group and this album had came out.  We all snuck out to the parking lot to one of the 16 year old's cars and listened to Regulate.  Ha!  I remember it like it was yesterday - a bunch of middle class white rural kids at church sneaking out to listen to rap.


Classic.






My middle school years were filled with a new band called Green Day and their first release - Dookie.  Only.in.middle.school.


And we cannot forget Weezer.  The band for all people.


I had plenty of Nirvana love too and my Nirvana t-shirt was a prized possession. 


But it was Pearl Jam that I loved the most.









High school


 I still loved the music from my past but now I was into more hard core, I'm mad at the world, let me scream music.  Yes, cue the Korn and Rage and the Tool.


But I also was listening to this band called The Dixie Chicks.  And on the weekends friends and I were going to a karaoke bar and belting out songs for Cowboys to take us away.









Speed up to college...


And enter the love for sounds out of Austin, Texas and little places in between.  If I heard Drivin' & Cryin's Straight to Hell once I heard it five billion times.  Robert Earl Keen Jr was blowing up our speakers as was any country music made between 1940 and 2000.  Reckless Kelly...yes I belt you out!









I remember Dierks Bentley concerts in little bars and shag dancing to The Chairman of the Board.  Going to big farms to hear little bands that thought they were super stars. 


Things changed uber fast in college as did the music we were listening to.


More Fifty Cent, Yin Yang Twins, and music we could sweat to.  The Killers were one of my favorite non hip hop bands then.  I blasted them in my shades, driving down Market Street.









When life changed again I was listening to some new guy that was consistently playing clubs around the areas I stayed in.  His name was Jason Aldean.









Then one year I met a boy and that was the year all I listened to was some good ole JT.  There is no correlation between the boy and the JT music but I think it is funny that that is all I was listening to in the car.









Later on that boy and I would get hitched.  Then we would have a couple of kids.


The day we drove to the hospital for our baby girl to be born this song was the last song I heard before getting out of the car.







Now my life is filled with all these and more.  I tend to go to the old school music over the new stuff.  I work out to Eminem from back in the day.  When I'm cleaning it is to 80's music.  If we're sitting out by the bonfire then we all start singing old school music from years before we were even around.


And I have an eight year old who is all about music now.  Taylor Swift, Katie Perry, and she even is singing along to some of the stuff her old mom puts on in the car.  Watch out!


Music is the tie that binds us and it is an important part of who we are.  This was fun today.


What song makes you?











































No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!