Thursday, March 24, 2016

I'm a pre-vacation nut job, hi!

Vacation season is right upon us.  I know many of you are disappearing from your regular postal code for the holiday weekend and or Spring Break.

Spring Vacation 2013!


If there is anything that hold true for me it is that I love to get out of Dodge as much as possible.  I am really one of those people who would gladly give up shopping to travel more.  Once upon a time I read an awesome article about couples and families who stopped gift giving and birthday parties to have more money to go on trips and vacations.  I fell in love with that idea.  However, I'm very traditional so the thought of no birthday party (though ours are very basic) kind of made my mommy heart hurt.

Spring Vacation 2014



Each year we average three vacations.  Two without our kids and one with the kids.  The two without the kids are generally just weekend trips.  Our big family trip is around seven days and at the coast.  I live for our get-a-ways both with and without the kids.


However, the days leading up to the trip are a little bit of torture for my soul.


I can readily admit I do have some major obsessive compulsive tendencies when a vacation is around the corner.

Summer weekend trip 2015



My list making goes into full tilt.

I am the queen, duchess, and first lady of list making.  I make lists of lists I need to make.  Yes, it is a bit out of control!  Honestly, if I sit down to make a list I will need at least six sheets of paper because I can guarantee the list I sit down to write will spawn at least two more lists.


The lists I create:
Packing
Day before to do
Shopping
Cleaning
Day of

Packing List -I write out every single stitch of clothing we will need, toiletries, linens if necessary, the kids' items they "must have" (my daughter cannot function without Moo Moo a stuffed animal she has had since birth, chargers for the electronic devices, books, etc.


Day before trip to do - This list is for things I need to do outside the home.  Do I need to get gas?  Clean out the car at the car wash?  Get a headlight light (haha that is on my to do list today)?  Pick up dog food?  Go to the post office or library?  Pay any bills in person?  Get gas?  OK you get it.  I have this nice little list in my car so I can mark out things as I do them around town.


Shopping list 1 - I have a shopping trip prior to the trip to get snacks for the ride down.  I also buy things that are cheaper here than in the location we're going to.  Remember marketing in different areas also can create a price hike! 

Cleaning list - I do not know about you but I cannot leave my house messy or cluttered.  I have to clean it and I mean clean it before a trip.  Yes, I vacuum and dust and mop and scrub toilets.  The whole idea is when I get back home I want my house to be fresh and clean so all I have to do is some laundry. 

Day of list - The day we leave I also have a list.  It is generally two columns - column one is strictly for things I need to make sure I have packed last minute (phone chargers, tooth brushes, face wash, etc.)  Column two is for things I need to have out for our dog and whoever is caring for her while we're away, other slight house things like making sure the toilets are flushed (do that people), stuff is unplugged (especially if it is thunderstorm season), turning down the thermostat, etc.  All the things you do before you head out has it's very own list.

Shopping list 2 - This is for the big family trip as I do not really ever do this on a couple's trip (because I don't cook on those!)  Since we rent a house or condo for our big beach trip I always cook and clean so I buy my supplies for the week while we're on vacation.

Now the crazy part?

I hate itineries for trips.

A walking contradiction, yep!

Happy vacation season!  If you suffer from OCD like me I have found a helpful anecdote - it is from Russia and goes by the name Absolut (bahahaha, truth!)

Happy travels!




















No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!