Monday, July 1, 2013

Make ya banana pancakes....

.....and pretend that it's the weekend - (My favorite Jack Johnson song - Banana Pancakes.)

 I have came to the realization that Jack Johnson's music is probably the perfect soundtrack to my summer weekends.  I don't really buy music anymore so on Sunday, while the princess was with her Nana (she doesn't seem to reside at home during the summer), and the prince was snoozing away the rest of the afternoon, I turned on my Jack Johnson Pandora Station and became productive.  If you turn on his music and do the chores they seem to lose their "ugh chores" feelings complete with a sigh and eye roll - and turn to "ahhh stuff to do"....thought I would share.

----

How was your weekend?

I cannot complain about mine.  It did not include anything that bled, screamed, or left me spending money I didn't have - so it was great!  It did include some spray paint, a free lunch compliments of my little brother, flowers, and a successful visit.

Here are some fun things we did this weekend (er I did):

Painted the old swing grey!
My hubby picked out purple - good choice!
A friend (Nicole K. in NC) posted on Facebook that she had updated her plastic Adirondack chairs.  I have some old metal chairs (think 1950's) that require painting due to chips and fades every two years or so.  The last time I had painted them was four years ago (eeeek).  They were a nice blue - think ocean, beachy, summery, nice!  After four years they became a faded blue with orange scuff marks.  After a run to Lowe's - they are....purple!  While I was painting them I started thinking about when my friend Jennifer (Jen B. in NC) bought her home and we spent some time with some spray paint updating some wicker for her sun room.  We had tons of fun that spring!  Updating furniture, painting some canvases, and working in the flower beds (that we later found out her HOA would take care of due to them all having to be similar across the property).  Fun times.



I also found some orphaned flowers at the local Lowe's Home Improvement that had been watered until they nearly drowned.  We brought them home so I could replant them and help them make their way back to blooming.  I just love some horticulture CPR.  I am happy to announce that the pink petunias are thriving and have already gave me fresh new blooms and the mixed pot of petunias and a creeping member of the lantana family are also thriving nicely having pulled a complete 180 from the shape I purchased them in.  (One day I will think to take before and after pictures....)

----

Many of my readers and friends know that my little family has been on the hunt for a new place of worship on Sunday mornings.  Our home church just doesn't have the opportunities for our children that I believe are quite critical during the early years.  It is a nice, small, homey church that is greatly compatible for those who do not need programming for younger children.  The minister is fantastic and the people are nice it just was no longer a good fit for us.  Therefore,  a few months back the decision was made to go elsewhere.  It was a hard decision to make.  We are both members there, it is very convenient to our home, we know everyone there, it is my family's church.  However, it wasn't giving us what we needed spiritually.  When we attended on Sunday mornings I had a baby who was ready to move around and play (no active nursery unless I took him back on my own - why even go?  I can play with my child at home) and a five year old who needed some Christian inspiration away from a three minute children's sermon and then back to the pew to eat a snack and grow weary after ten minutes.  (Not to mention she needs to hear things from people other than mom....)

We were utilizing VBS events to get a feel for churches in our area.  Some we adored but didn't feel that pull.  This past VBS week really made the impact on my child and myself.  I knew in my heart of hearts we had to try this church.  There was a pull - a magnetism.  It isn't terribly far to go, I didn't feel they would be down our throats to quickly abandon our ties to our home church, and yes we knew a few people there.  Not to mention the voids were filled: an active nursery, an active children's worship experience, time for my husband and I to hear a sermon and be allowed to think about it without getting bits and pieces because the baby decided that was a perfect time to get agitated!

So yesterday we piled up and headed down the road.  Can I tell you we had a great experience (and the choir was awesome).  I feel certain we'll be back.

-----

What better way to wrap up a good weekend than with some flower picking - there are some stray Black Eyed Susan's on our little piece of earth - I clipped them to let the summer come inside.


xx
Brownie



No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Let's connect!